Lead System Engineer
OIST is seeking a motivated senior system engineer to lead our operation team. This broad technical role will see you working closely with researchers and administrative staff at the forefront of their fields to deliver solutions and services. The position reports to the Operation and Support Section Manager and has purview over IT services ranging from physical servers and data centers to email and calendar services, as well as underlying authentication, directory, registry, data integration services, applications, and networks. Come join our IT team in supporting OIST researchers and staff to promote and sustain the advancement of science and technology in Japan and throughout the world.
- Lead the operation team to provide excellent quality of service to university researchers and administrative staff.
- Ensure IT services, including infrastructure, applications, and network, are stable, scalable and reliable in day-to-day operation.
- Closely work with the project team for designing operation model of new systems
- Coordinate and oversee the planning, design, selection, justification, implementation, upgrade, and operation of hardware and software solutions supporting University business.
- Propose, initiate, and monitor service improvement activities with PDCA practices
- Manage multiple data centers and server rooms on our campus
- Ensure all the documents for operations are in place
- Communicate, coordinate, and negotiate with researchers and administrative staff within IT and across the University in the design and delivery of services to meet their needs.
- Garner feedback and work to continuously improve services.
- Negotiate and administer vendor outsourcing and consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Create and manage a yearly budget plan, track projects, and budgets, manage schedules, and prepare status reports.
- A degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, or a related field.
- Proven leadership skills, including at least 5 years of experience in IT Service Management e.g. architecting, implementing, and maintaining IT services for a medium to a large-size organization.
- Broad technical literacy covering authentication, virtualization, and identity management, as well as physical servers and networking.
- In-depth understanding of computer and network security.
- Experience with Data Center management.
- Experience with cloud technologies such as Microsoft Azure and Amazon Web Services.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Business-level English
- Experience operating headless servers through a shell.
- Experience designing and maintaining storage services.
- Experience running services on both Linux and Windows servers.
- Experience with programming and shell scripting.
- Experience working in a multicultural work environment.
- ITIL qualification holder.
- Fluent in Japanese (BJT J1+, JLPT N1+, or an equivalent).
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Resource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Cover letter in English and Japanese*
- Curriculum vitae in English and Japanese*
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Applicants whose native language is Japanese are required to submit both documents in English and Japanese.
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to OIST after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.