Language Section - Assistant Manager/Language Teacher
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
- Curriculum planning and development (English and Japanese)
- Liaise with OIST administrative sections (e.g., CPR/HR) and Graduate School regarding language training needs and community messaging
- Liaise with outside partners, such as Onna Village Office
- Lead the Language Section members
- Handle HR recruitment, staff development and teaching assignments/course selection
- Manage budgets and financial procedures, including purchasing and travel
- Assist VP UCS with business plan and annual staff evaluation
- Use IT systems to update section website and handle community messaging
- Develop and administer community language development events, maximizing OIST and local Okinawan community involvement
- Oversee enrollment-related procedures for regular English and Japanese classes
- Section risk management, including updating policies and procedures and COVID-19 mitigation
- Collect, process, and analyze Language Education Section data for decision making and reporting purposes
- Teach English language classes
- Minimum of Master’s degree in a relevant/appropriate field, with training or certification in ESOL teaching
- At least 10 years’ experience teaching at the secondary and/or post-secondary level, preferably in an international environment
- At least 5 years’ experience with curriculum development and modifying curricula based on feedback and student needs
- Native-level English and business-level Japanese (JLPT N3 or higher)
- Supervisory experience, including managing budgets, risk management, staff guidance and development, recruitment, planning, and project management (experience with setting and assessing team/individual goals is an advantage)
- Strong computer literacy, especially with LMS and event marketing/promotion
- Strong knowledge of Microsoft Excel for data visualization
- Experience in evaluation of language teaching performance
- At least 5 years’ leadership experience in the field of language teaching
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.