Lab Technician in Plant Epigenetics Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We seek a lab technician who will work in the research unit “Plant Epigenetics Unit (Principal Investigator: Hidetoshi Saze). We will study epigenetic mechanisms of gene regulation by using plants including Arabidopsis thaliana and rice. See also the unit page at OIST: https://groups.oist.jp/peu
Data collection and analysis using molecular biological and biochemical methods. Plant breeding management, laboratory equipment management, etc.
BA/BSc/MSc degree or equivalent, and good communication skills in either Japanese or English. Researchers with experiences in molecular genetics, biochemistry, and plant biology are preferred.
Term & Working Hours
Full-time or part-time, fixed term appointment for 1-year contract. This contract may be renewed.
Working Hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation
- Relocation, housing (Full-time contract), and Commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
1) Cover letter
2) CV (including any research experiences)
3) Names and contact information for at least 1 reference
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.