Interdisciplinary Postdoc Scholar Fellowship (IPSF)
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shorelines and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST - University of the Future). There are no academic departments, which facilitate multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and interdisciplinary research.
About the Fellowship:
The Interdisciplinary Postdoctoral Scholar Fellowship (IPSF) program is a new initiative for talented early career researchers from all over the world. The Fellowship provides a unique opportunity to advance researchers' academic careers by conducting full-time interdisciplinary research and training with OIST faculty and respective research units. Prospective Fellows should contact PI's of OIST units that they wish to work with and establish, at some minimum level, the feasibility of their research plan before applying.
What we offer:
- Rich interdisciplinary research
- International, diverse and inclusive work environment
- Competitive salary, benefits and discretionary research budget
- Ability to select a unit to conduct your research
- Opportunities for professional and career development
Conduct full-time interdisciplinary research with two or more OIST faculty and their respective research units based on a clear research plan. Participate in activities including meetings and seminars related to the Units. The postdoc is also expected to have a close working relationship with graduate students, other research specialists and collaborators.
1. Completed Ph.D. and 1-3 years post PhD experience (minimum)
2. Excellent scientific achievements in the area of study.
3. Ability to conduct independent research under the mentorship of OIST faculty
4. Interdisciplinary research project complementary to the research areas pursued by OIST
5. Previous work in an international environment is preferred
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed-term appointment for 2 years. Renewable for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-months probationary period (inclusive).
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation: In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation expenses (to Okinawa), housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Upload all submission documents to: https://apply.interfolio.com/75577/
Contact information: Send queries to IPSF@oist.jp with the subject line [Postdoc Fellowship]
- Cover Letter
- Curriculum Vitae
- List of publications – highlighting two relevant and impactful papers
- Research statement includes:
- detailed research plan describing new interdisciplinary collaborations plan between two OIST research units
- how the candidate’s project will complement OIST research programs
- explanation how the candidate will benefit from the Fellowship
- research budget specifications
- Letters of support from two OIST Principal Investigators with clearly outlined and measurable research and mentorship responsibilities towards the Fellow
- Three Letters of Recommendation
Application Due Date
OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities.
Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.