Insect Specimen Management and Field Research Team Leader
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
One position of Research Support Specialist, Environmental Science Section, Research Support Division.
The Environmental Science Section (https://groups.oist.jp/ja/ess) of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) maintains the field sampling network for the Community-collaborative Environmental Monitoring Project in Okinawa (OKEON Churamori Project) and conducts research to solve local issues in Okinawa. In addition to above, the section provides the support for field surveys conducted by researchers in the university using our expertise. We are currently looking for a Research Support Specialist to lead our field team, play a central role in supporting OIST terrestrial field survey, and manage the section together with us, under the following conditions.
1. Maintenance and operation of monitoring sites, traps and devices.
2. Quality control of field sample collection, sorting, and specimen preparation processes through to data entry.
3. Curation and management of OKEON Arthropod collection.
4. Safety and work management of field team members and provision of necessary training.
5. Field survey support at the request of internal and external researchers.
6. Preparation and presentation of research results in collaboration with the research team.
7. Other duties related to the projects implemented by this section.
1. Ph.D. degree or equivalent skills and experience.
2. Experience in field research.
3. High motivation to the mission.
4. Good communication and coordination skills, flexibility, patience, and responsibility.
5. Good specimen curation and management skills.
6. Advanced level of Japanese and English to communicate for job-related purposes (all field team members are Japanese temp staff).
7. Japanese driver's license.
1. A broad range of identification skills for all insects, especially for Hymenoptera to the family level, and for Formicidae (ants) to the species level.
2. Experience in handling large insect collections and their specimen management databases is preferable.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 8:30-17:00 (Discretionary; however, restrictions may apply depending on attendance management of temporary staff, weather conditions, etc.)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 2~4 referees
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.