OIST is seeking a motivated leader to manage our infrastructure team. This broad technical role will see you working closely with researchers and administrative at the forefront of their fields to deliver solutions and services. The position reports to the Vice President IT, and has purview over infrastructure ranging from physical servers and data centers to email and calendar services, as well as underlying authentication, directory, registry, and data integration services. Come join our IT team in supporting OIST researchers and staff to promote and sustain the advancement of science and technology in Japan and throughout the world.
- Manage the Infrastructure Section including Microsoft Core Services, DevOps and Linux teams to provide an excellent quality of service to University researchers and administrative staff.
- Ensure infrastructure services are scalable and reliable in day to day operation.
- Develop strategy for the evolution and upgrade of OIST infrastructure services.
- Coordinate and oversee the planning, design, selection, justification, implementation, upgrade and operation of hardware and software solutions supporting University business.
- Communicate, coordinate and negotiate with researchers and administrative staff within IT and across the University in the delivery, design and deliver of services to meet their needs
- Garner feedback and work to continuously improve services.
- Negotiate and administer vendor outsourcing and consultant contracts and service agreements.
- Create and manage a yearly budget plan, track projects and budgets, manage schedules, and prepare status reports.
- Proven leadership skills, including at least 5 years of experience in managing teams to architect, implement and maintain infrastructure services.
- Broad technical literacy covering authentication, virtualization, identity management as well as physical servers and networking.
- Strong interpersonal skills.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- English native TOEIC 900 or above
- Japanese desirable (JLPT N2 or above)
- Data center management experience
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 6.1 million ~ 14.3 million yen (Job class: IT Leader, IT3)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3-5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.