The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Come join our small and agile infrastructure section in enabling OIST's world leading research, education and the promotion of Okinawa! This key role will see the candidate work with stakeholders from across the university to develop, manage and monitor infrastructure and services to support the world leading research taking place here at OIST.
- Ensure critical services running on Windows Server remain available, secure, maintained, monitored, and documented
- Architect and implement improvements to Infrastructure services in response to changing University needs
- Support and develop application interfaces enabling integration between external systems and infrastructure services
- Respond to service and security incidents, and ensure systems meet security and compliance requirements
- Share knowledge with junior IT members and non-IT staff, as well as participate in group and individual training opportunities
- Manage and track daily tasks, set personal goals and report progress
- At least 4 years of experience architecting, deploying, configuring, maintaining, and securing Windows Server services on Windows 2012R2 and 2016 or newer.
- Experience with the following software, services, and technology, or an equivalent:
- Active Directory Domain Services (AD, DNS, DFS, GPO, CS, ADFS)
- Office 365 (Hybrid Exchange, Azure AD)
- Hyper-V virtualization with failover clustering
- Azure cloud services (VMs, VNets, Storage, ASR, hybrid cloud, cost management)
- MS System Center 2016 (SCCM, SCOrch, DPM, SCOM)
- PowerShell 3.0 and 5.1 or newer
- Experience in the physical installation and configuration of server and storage hardware into a server room environment, and management using remote management tools such as IPMI
- Experience configuring and managing enterprise storage devices and related networks, with knowledge of Fibre Channel and iSCSI protocols
- Strong networking knowledge, with ability to communicate detailed technical requirements to network engineers
- Security-first mindset, with experience implementing mitigations to security risks and architecting systems in accordance with security best practices
- Self-motivated, strong sense of ownership, and desire to learn and work with new technologies
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate professionally and effectively with people of various technical ability in a multicultural, multilingual environment
- English (TOEIC 850+) OR Japanese (JLPT N1) speaker
- Business application development background with programming skills (object-oriented languages, SQL databases, .NET Framework)
- Knowledge of DevOps methodology and experience with related tools (source control, CI/CD, automated testing)
・Native English speaker, with ability to perform business communication in Japanese
・Native Japanese speaker, with ability to perform business communication in English
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 months probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
HR Recruiting Support Section
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English, and Japanese if available
- Curriculum vitae in English, and Japanese if available
- Names and contact information of 2~3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).