The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
The Incubator/Accelerator Coordinator (IAC) will lead several key initiatives at OIST aimed at promoting entrepreneurship and startup companies in Okinawa. The IAC will oversee the operations of the Innovation Square Incubator, a new facility constructed on the OIST campus to incubate startup companies. The IAC will also lead the Startup Accelerator Program, an initiative that leverages the university’s resources and networks to build technology-driven startups from concept to business. The IAC role includes a combination of strategic planning, day-to-day operations, and customer/partner relationship management. The IAC will be an integral member of the Technology Development and Innovation Center at OIST.
Innovation Square Incubator: https://groups.oist.jp/tdic/innovation-square-incubator
Startup Accelerator Program: https://groups.oist.jp/tdic/accelerator-program-0
Technology Development and Innovation Center: https://groups.oist.jp/tdic
- Oversee the day-to-day operations of the Innovation Square Incubator:
- Manage tenant relations
- Market to potential tenants by developing marketing materials, conducting tours, etc.
- Lead the management of the facility by serving as the point-of-contact for vendors, maintenance contractors, and facilities management personnel
- Responsible for health and safety (training, waste management, etc.), in coordination with university EH&S staff
- Assist in financial budgeting, reporting, and forecasting
- Coordinate the Startup Accelerator Program:
- Support outreach and recruitment of startups into the program
- Manage the logistics of the program, including the application, review, and selection process
- Oversee the execution and delivery of the Accelerator program curriculum and support services
- Identify, nurture, and manage relationships with global experts and organizations to help startups build their network, expand their customer base, and accelerate their technical and business milestones
- Organize events and seminars inside and outside OIST to promote the entrepreneurial community, including pitches/demo days, mentor office hours, and guest lectures
- Assist in designing new programs that provide educational and experiential opportunities in entrepreneurship to the OIST and Okinawa communities
- Collaborate with the appropriate internal teams at OIST to optimize entrepreneurship initiatives, including public relations, legal, IT, human resources, and safety
- Pursue sponsorship opportunities and raise funds for ongoing and new entrepreneurship programs
- BA/BS degree or equivalent experience in science or business
- Bilingual in Japanese and English
- Dedication to contributing to the entrepreneurial community at OIST and beyond
- Ability to work both independently and collaboratively as a member of a team
- Excellent customer service and communication skills
- Experience in managing research projects or lab facilities
- Experience in a startup company or supporting startup companies
- Existing network of contacts in the business, technology, and investment community in Japan and/or abroad
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 4.6-8.6 million yen (Job class: Specialist, A4)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
Names and contact information of 3-5 referees, at least one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.