HPC Web Engineer
The Scientific Computing and Data Analysis (SCDA) section, under the Research Support Division (RSD), promotes the effective use of High-Performance Computing (HPC) in OIST research environment. The SCDA manages OIST scientific computing resources and services to support computationally intensive research studies, ranging from bioinformatics to computational physics.
The HPC Web engineer will contribute to enhancing the usage and support of OIST’s HPC and scientific computing services. Under the direction of the SCDA Leader, the section member will be involved in the design, development, and maintenance of software and tools for OIST computing resources and services, as well as general systems administration and programming tasks.
- Designs, implements and maintains software tools to support end users and administrators of Research computing systems
- Designs, develops and maintains software tools for monitoring, management, administration, etc., and supporting day-to-day operations of the SCDA team
- Administrates, debugs, maintains, applies revision updates, and addresses security updates to software and OSes
- Produces and manages documentations of systems (installation, configuration, etc.) and software (design, maintenance, user guides, etc.)
- Explores emerging technologies and technical developments to address expanding analytical and skill requirements
- Contributes to a team culture of trust and transparency by sharing information openly, and deliberately
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Section Leader
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer information systems etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 3+ years of software development experience in Linux/Unix computing environment
- Familiar with modern Web technologies, including ECMAScript (>= ES8), Webpack, jQuery, and any of Vue.js (preferred) / React / Angular, etc.
- Good command of Unix/Linux shell and script languages (e.g., bash, python, ruby)
- Familiar with version control tools such as Git (preferred), SVN, CVS, etc
- Ability to read and write technical documents in English
- Good organization and communication skills, verbal and written, either in Japanese or in English
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members
- Ability to identify and resolve problems
- Ability to learn and apply new concepts, methods, and practices
- Experience in developing low-level software (e.g., library, device driver) to control instruments.
- Experience in using HPC systems (e.g., job submission, parallel computing, etc.)
- Experience with software development using CUDA or OpenCL
- Basic knowledge of scientific numerical simulation (e.g., numerical error handling, integration methods)
- Basic knowledge in statistics (e.g., standard deviation, correlation)
- Experience with container technologies (e.g., Singularity, Docker, Enroot)
- Experience with Cloud services (e.g., AWS, Azure, Google Cloud)
- Knowledge and experience in networking and network protocols
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid)
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Access to Child Development Center
- Access to Schooling Options
- Language Education
- Recource Center (Daily Life Support in Okinawa)
- Cover letter in English and Japanese*
- Curriculum vitae in English and Japanese*
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Japanese nationals are required to submit both documents in English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 - 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day