HPC and Research Computing Engineer
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best brains in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education are done in the global academic world.
The Scientific Computing and Data Analysis (SCDA) section, under the Research Support Division (RSD), promotes the effective use of High-Performance Computing (HPC) in OIST research environment. The SCDA manages OIST scientific computing resources and services to support computationally intensive research studies, ranging from bioinformatics to computational physics.
The HPC and research computing member will support and enhance the usage of OIST’s substantial HPC and scientific computing services. Under the direction of the SCDA Leader, the member will support usage of OIST computing resources, which involves day to day management of OIST HPC clusters and computing services, as well as general systems administration and programming tasks.
- Supports day-to-day operations for the HPC team by monitoring computing resource performance, managing configurations, and addressing security administration
- Installs, configures, and performs document management for cluster infrastructure components (OS, scheduler, storage, network, etc.)
- Investigates, debugs, maintains hardware and apply revisions to system firmware and software
- Deploys and operates management and monitoring tools to ensure proper HPC system operation
- Engages and collaborates with vendors to assist with support and maintenance activities as required
- Explores emerging technologies and technical developments to address expanding analytical requirements
- Stays current with best practices in the HPC field
- Contributes to a team culture of trust and transparency by sharing information openly, and deliberately
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Section Leader
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer information systems, etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 3+ years of operation and administration experience in HPC environment for research computing using Linux/Unix variants
- Good organization and communication skills, verbal and written, either in Japanese or in English
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members
- Ability to identify and resolve problems
- Ability to learn and apply new concepts, methods and practices
- Shell scripting commands - bash, perl, ruby or python or any combination
- Daily usage of version control tools such as Git (preferred), SVN, CVS, etc
- Expertise with system administrating, monitoring, and maintaining secure Linux/Unix-based HPC environment
- Automation/configuration management experience (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, Cobbler, Kickstart, etc.)
- Experience with HPC system software cluster management tools (SLURM, Docker/Singularity, Enroot, etc.)
- Familiarity with shared and distributed memory parallelism (OpenMP, MPI) and accelerators (GPUs)
- Experience with HPC parallel storage, file systems (Lustre, GPFS, NFS, ZFS, TSM, Isilon, etc.), and computer node storage (SSD, NVME, etc.)
- Experience with OOB management technology (BMC, IPMI, iDrac, iLO, etc.)
- Hands-on experience of physically deploying cluster (racking, cabling, part swapping, etc.)
- Good understanding of networking concepts
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
HR Recruiting Support Section
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter either in English or Japanese
- Curriculum vitae either in English or Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
*Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.