HPC and Research Computing Engineer
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 60 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Scientific Computing and Data Analysis (SCDA) section, under the Research Support Division (RSD), promotes the effective use of High-Performance Computing (HPC) in OIST research environment. The SCDA manages OIST scientific computing resources and services to support computationally intensive research studies, ranging from bioinformatics to computational physics.
The HPC and research computing member will support and enhance the usage of OIST’s substantial HPC and scientific computing services. Under the direction of the SCDA Leader, the member will support usage of OIST computing resources, which involves day to day management of OIST HPC clusters and computing services, as well as general systems administration and programming tasks.
- Supports day-to-day operations for the HPC team by monitoring computing resource performance, managing configurations, and addressing security administration
- Installs, configures, and performs document management for cluster infrastructure components (OS, scheduler, storage, network, etc.)
- Investigates, debugs, maintains hardware and applies system firmware and software revisions
- Deploys and operates management and monitoring tools to ensure proper HPC system operation
- Engages and collaborates with vendors to assist with support and maintenance activities as required
- Explores emerging technologies and technical developments to address expanding analytical requirements
- Stays current with best practices in the HPC field
- Contributes to a team culture of trust and transparency by sharing information openly, and deliberately
- Performs other related duties as assigned or requested by the Section Leader
- Bachelor’s degree in a relevant field such as computer science, computer information systems, etc., or equivalent combination of education, training, and experience
- 3+ years of operation and administration experience in computing environment using Linux/Unix variants
- Good organization and communication skills, verbal and written, either in Japanese or in English
- Ability to develop positive working relationships and a strong rapport with team members
- Ability to identify and resolve problems
- Ability to learn and apply new concepts, methods, and practices
- Shell scripting commands - bash, perl, ruby or python or any combination
- Daily usage of version control tools such as Git (preferred), SVN, CVS, etc
- Expertise with system administrating, monitoring, and maintaining secure Linux/Unix-based HPC environment
- Automation/configuration management experience (Puppet, Ansible, Chef, Salt, Cobbler, Kickstart, etc.)
- Experience with HPC system software cluster management tools (SLURM, PBS, Torque/Maui, etc.)
- Experience with container technologies (Singularity, Docker, Enroot, etc.)
- Familiarity with shared and distributed memory parallelism (OpenMP, MPI) and accelerators (GPUs)
- Experience with HPC parallel storage, file systems (Lustre, GPFS, NFS, ZFS, TSM, Isilon, etc.), and computer node storage (SSD, NVME, etc.)
- Experience with OOB management technology (BMC, IPMI, iDrac, iLO, etc.)
- Hands-on experience of physically deploying clusters (racking, cabling, part swapping, etc.)
- Good understanding of networking concepts
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter either in English or Japanese
- Curriculum vitae either in English or Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
We thank all those who apply but only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.