HPC and Research Computing Engineer
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). Moreover, Okinawa is a subtropical island having easy access to beaches and a very low cost of living. There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
We seek an experienced Linux administrator for Scientific Research to provide technical leadership and oversight of computer systems in support of scientific research activity.
The Scientific Computing & Data Analysis Section (SCDA) of the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University promotes the effective use of High Performance Computing (HPC) in the research environment. The SCDA operates Linux-based computer clusters to support computationally intensive research studies, ranging from bioinformatics to computational physics.
The HPC and research computing member will be interacting daily with world leading researchers, supporting and enhancing their usage of OIST's substantial HPC and scientific computing services. Under the direction of the SCDA Leader the member will consult directly with researchers at OIST to support their use of OIST scientific computing resources. This will involve day to day management of OIST HPC clusters and researcher services, supporting researchers, as well as general systems administration and programming tasks.
- In particular, duties will involve:
- Designing, building, configuring, tuning and maintaining large computer clusters
- Day to day administration, operation, monitoring and management of OIST HPC clusters (IB network, filesystems, HPC software, etc.)
- Diagnosing and resolving hardware issues effectively, but also coordinating with vendors to resolve hardware and software problems
- Supporting users in accessing the cluster and resolving issues with jobs
- Other duties as assigned by the SCDA Leader:
- Deploying services for researchers (web, databases, collaborative tools, virtual stack, etc.)
- Documenting system administration procedures for all tasks
- Investigating new technologies and systems as directed
- BS or MS degree in science or engineering, and at least 6 (BS) or 3 (MS) years of Unix/Linux experience, with experience in HPC system administration or in managing large HPC clusters.
- Experience in high-performance research computing and in-depth understanding of the following: Unix and Linux architecture, queuing systems and schedulers; networking infrastructure issues and storage solutions related to HPC; system tuning, data backup and security issues.
- Solid teamwork skills
- Fluent in spoken and written either in English or Japanese.
- Experience in a research environment, particularly in providing support to researchers on their HPC computation
- Other desirable skills include familiarity with grid computing; knowledge of high-level scripting languages such as Python and Perl; knowledge of web server technology; proficiency in project planning and project management; ability to work independently as well as collaborate with end users and other system administrators.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5.0 million yen ~ 8.7 million yen (Job class: Research Support Specialist I, RS2)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).