Group Leader/Molecular Cryo-Electron Microscopy Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
We are seeking an experienced group leader to help alleviate the workload due to constantly expanding number of research projects and personnel in the Molecular Cryo-Electron Microscopy Unit. The ideal candidate will have extensive experience in Cryo-EM and image processing including a history of supervision of students or fellow researchers.
Molecular Cryo-Electron Microscopy Unit (Wolf Unit)
- More than 10 years of post-doctoral research experience in a relevant field such as structural biology, biochemistry or biophysics
- Extensive experience in Cryo-EM, sample preparation and data collection
- Experience with automated data collection strategies like leginon, serialEM, EPU
- Experience on a direct electron detector such as a Gatan K2 summit and a FEI Falcon3
- Extensive experience with protein expression and purification
- Excellent communication and team working skills
- Experience in research management/supervisory role
- English language skills are essential (fluency in reading and writing)
- Experience on a FEI Titan Krios
- Background in programming with an emphasis on scripting (shell script, python)
- Japanese citizens are highly encouraged to apply (not a requirement)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
(Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).