Group Leader/Integrated Open Systems Unit
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) is a model for change in education and research with the best international graduate students, working side by side with world-class faculty in modern well-equipped laboratories. Beautifully situated on the island of Okinawa, OIST relies on a cross-disciplinary approach, with an emphasis on creativity and exchange, to offer unique, individualized graduate training. OIST is a university with no departments, eliminating artificial barriers between people working in different fields, but many nationalities, with students and faculty being attracted from all over the world. Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST is bringing some of the best Researchers in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
Integrated Open System Unit is seeking a Group Leader to manage/supervise current research teams involved in academic as well as real world deployment in the areas of systems biology and sustainable living architecture projects under the overall guidance of the Faculty.
Position: Group Leader
Unit: Integrate Open System Unit (Kitano Unit)
Manage and supervise current research teams involved in academic as well as real world deployment in the areas of systems biology and sustainable living architecture projects under the overall guidance of the Faculty. Applicants are also expected to develop their own projects and collaborations and apply for grants.
On systems biology area, we will lead and work together with global network of researchers to apply artificial intelligence to make major scientific discoveries in basic biology, medical practices, and related domains. While there are specific on-going projects, overall research will continue to evolve and to be integrated into artificial intelligence system for scientific discovery. (Please refer to Kitano, H., Artificial Intelligence to Win the Nobel Prize and Beyond: Creating the Engine for Scientific Discovery. AI Magazine, 37(1), 2016 for overall vision of the research)
On Sustainable Living Architecture project, we are interested in developing and leading sustainable and sharable integrated systems that enables high quality of living even in the area where no or minimal infrastructure is available. This involves sustainable supply of stable energy, mobility (sharable EV autonomous vehicles), water, and other key elements. Collaborations with various corporate partners are critical to this project with the final goal of understanding design, deployment, operation, and life cycle management of integrated sustainable living architecture.
- More than 10 years of post-Ph.D. research experience in a relevant field such as systems biology, software engineering or data analysis.
- Excellent communication and team working skills with academic as well as industrial partners.
- Fluent in spoken and written English
- Capability to formulate grants applications
- Experience in adopting the external fund projects (KAKENHI etc.)
- Experience in research management/supervisory and industrial collaborations
- Experience in software development, systems biology, data mining, machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Experience in open energy systems and self-sustainable systems
- Strong interest in real world deployment of research outcome in forms of technology transfer, industry alliance formation, or creation of start-up companies
- Basic Japanese skills
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulation.
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Please submit all required application materials by email to:
email@example.com (Please replace # with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Integrated Open Systems Unit (Kitano Unit)
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).