Grants Administrative Staff
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Research Support Division (RSD) shall contribute to research and education by providing excellent common research facilities and research support services for the researchers and students at OIST. Technical sections of RSD shall provide maintenance of common equipment/facilities, operation training, fair access, consultation on experimental design and choice of methods/instruments, and technical support on data acquisition and analysis. Administrative sections of RSD shall provide support on grant applications, collaborations, health and safety and other support to research activities.
As one of the administrative sections of RSD, the Grants and Research Collaborations Section seeks to raise external research funding from domestic and overseas agencies to propel innovative research activities. The section provides assistance to researchers in writing research proposals and preparing grant applications, handles the grant acceptance and payment process, monitors expenditure and creates and submits reports to the funding agencies. In addition, the section is responsible for the administrative procedures required to host Japanese and foreign research fellows at OIST.
Grants and Research Collaborations Section is currently looking for a Grants Administrative Staff, who is responsible for handling administrative duties related to research grants and hosting research fellows.
- Accept and review research grants applications from researchers, make sure the applications meet eligibility requirements and support researchers in submitting them to funding agencies
- Process the grant acceptance and payment procedures and monitor expenditure by using a financial management system
- Receive periodical financial and performance reports from researchers, make an editorial review and submit them to funding agencies
- Deliver seminars and briefing sessions on the guidelines and rules related to research grants and act as a first point of contact for inquiries from researchers regarding research grants
- Communicate and negotiate with funding agencies to facilitate smooth research activities
- Handle administrative procedures to host Japanese and foreign research fellows at OIST and work closely with host laboratories, other divisions/sections, funding agencies and other academic institutions to facilitate research fellow programs
- Perform other duties as assigned by the Grants and Research Collaborations Section Manager
- Excellent PC skills (Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and PowerPoint)
- Ability to communicate effectively with researchers both in English and Japanese, spoken and written
- Ability to pay attention to details and to carry out work accurately
- Ability to exercise initiative and work independently
- Ability to negotiate with stakeholders within/outside of the university
- Interpersonal skills to build and maintain a constructive relationship with diverse faculty and researchers
- Public speaking skills
- Practical knowledge of external research funding system, especially that of Kakenhi
- Previous experience of working at a university or research institution
- Familiarity with financial management systems
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million ~ 6.0 million yen (Job class: Administrative Staff A2)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).