GIS and Environmental Data Specialist for Environmental Data Support Setion
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) invites applications for the position of GIS and Environmental Data Specialist for Environmental Data Support Section. The GIS and Environmental Data Specialist will provide support for marine and terrestrial environmental research activities at OIST, focusing on data collection, data curation, and data analysis.
OIST has developed a new interdisciplinary model for education and research that brings together the best international graduate students and postdoctoral researchers to work side by side with world-class faculty members in modern well-equipped laboratories. Situated in a stunningly beautiful ecological setting on the island of Okinawa. OIST is a university that has no departments or artificial barriers that separate investigators in different fields. Its international student body and faculty represent nationalities from all over the world.
Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST attracts the best minds in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The GIS and Environmental Data Specialist for Environmental Data Support Section will be responsible for producing GIS resources supporting the OIST research community, both on a global scale but also with heavy focus on Okinawa. The specialist will report to the Section leader of the Section Leader for Environmental Data Support Section and will assist in the collection and curation of land, sea, and satellite data and facilitate the distribution of open access resources.
Support marine and terrestrial environmental research activities at OIST, focusing on data collection, data curation, and data analysis.
Collect and curate land, sea, and satellite data and facilitate the distribution of open access resources.
Produce GIS resources supporting the OIST research community, both on a global scale but also with heavy focus on Okinawa
Provide technical support to OIST research community on GIS and environmental data analyses.
Be a key member of the OKEON Churamori project, with particular focus on collection, curation, and analysis of core data streams.
A Bachelors or higher in a related field
Extensive experience in environmental data collection, curation, and analysis
Technical expertise in GIS, remote sensing, data logging
A strong record of research experience and research accomplishment
Business level communication skills in English
Experience working in a team environment
Good collaborative skills relevant to a multi-user environment
Good communication and interpersonal skills
The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if possible)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if possible)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.