The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) was established in 2011 to conduct internationally outstanding education and research in science and technology, and thus contribute to the sustainable development of Okinawa, and promote and sustain the advancement of science and technology in Japan and throughout the world.
The campus is situated on the island of Okinawa, with English used as the international language of daily operations in the field of science and technology. Faculty, students and researchers gather from all over the world to conduct research and open the way to the future of science and technology. With researchers from more than 30 countries, OIST is the one of the best places in the world for educational research, offering an environment with a cultural and intellectual diversity.
OIST, founded under “Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology School Corporation Act” of Japan, is an educational corporation that is funded mostly by the Japanese Government. It is, therefore, essential and necessary to manage the finance with integrity, transparency and accountability, while making efforts to earn funds from various sources.
The acquisition and appropriate execution of budget serves as the essential “lifeline” for OIST to recruit the best academics in the world and to realize world class research and education. It is the Budget Section of the Financial Management Division that takes the responsibility to make efficient and effective budget management, which is extremely important for appropriate and effectual administration of OIST.
The Budget Section of the Division for Financial Management is currently seeking a Financial Staff to develop annual budget plans and to report budget execution.
OIST is seeking a responsible and resourceful individual who can contribute to the advancement of science and technology in the world as well as the sustainable development of Okinawa, by tackling on challenges—together with colleagues—that daily tasks pose and by drawing on their own experiences and passion.
1. Preparation of budget requests materials
2. Analysis, application and report preparation of annual budget (for internal, Cabinet Office, Ministry of Finance, etc.)
3. Preparation support of Income and Expense Plan, and Income and Expense Statement for every budgetary resource
4. Tasks to support audits and inspection by the Board of Audit
5. Maintenance of subsidy execution and closing rules and manuals
6. Schedule coordination, materials and minutes preparation, etc. regarding budget related meetings
7. Perform other tasks as assigned
＊For the purpose of achievement and career development, job rotations may be made.
1. A university graduate
2. Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in budget and accounting work
3. Business level English (Minimum score of TOEIC 700)
4. Ability to communicate with related divisions/sections and coordinate with the government, with excelled problem-solving and negotiating skills
5. Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
6. Effective computer skills, including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
7. High motivation to be a professional in the overall fields of the Division for Financial Management including budget, procurement and travel expense/accounting work
1. Experience in financial field (in particular controlling the execution of public funding) in government offices, Independent Administrative Institutions, and universities
2. Experience in using ERP system
3. Work experience at audit corporations
4. Work experience in English-speaking environment
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
HR Recruiting Support Section
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).