The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST, founded under “Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology School Corporation Act” of Japan, is an educational corporation that is funded mostly by the Japanese Government. It is, therefore, essential and necessary to manage the finance with integrity, transparency and accountability, while making efforts to earn funds from various sources.
The acquisition and appropriate execution of budget serves as the essential “lifeline” for OIST to recruit the best academics in the world and to realize world class research and education. It is the Budget Section of the Financial Management Division that takes the responsibility to make efficient and effective budget management, which is extremely important for appropriate and effectual administration of OIST.
The Budget Section of the Division for Financial Management is currently seeking a Financial Specialist to develop annual budget plans, manage the annual budget, and analyze/report the budget execution status. We are seeking a responsible and resourceful individual who can contribute to the advancement of science and technology in the world as well as the sustainable development of Okinawa, by tackling on challenges—together with colleagues—that daily tasks pose and by drawing on their own experiences and passion.
The candidate will be responsible for operations in planning and development below.
- Operations relevant to budget requests including budget planning, drawing up, allocation and management/analysis of budget execution status
- Operation and management of subsidy rules
- Preparation of Income and Expense Plan, and Income and Expense Statement for every budgetary resource
- Handling audits and inspection by the Board of Audit
- Conduct inspections, research and report on budgets and subsidies
- Perform other tasks as assigned
＊For the purpose of achievement and career development, job rotations may be made.
- A university graduate
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in budget and accounting work
- Business level English (Minimum score of TOEIC 700)
- Ability to communicate with related divisions/sections and coordinate with the government, with excelled problem-solving and negotiating skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Effective computer skills, including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint)
- High motivation to be a professional in the overall fields of the Division for Financial Management including budget, procurement and travel expense/accounting work
- Experience in financial field in government offices, Independent Administrative Institutions, and universities
- Experience in using ERP system
- Work experience at audit corporations
- Work experience in English-speaking environment
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5.5 million yen ~ (Job class: Specialist I/Assistant Manager, A4)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).