The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
The Advisor works closely with the VP for Financial Management (VPFM) to devise strategies and negotiate with government offices to secure government funding for the OIST. The Advisor also controls the execution of public funding and prepare for internal and external auditing.
- Work closely with VPFM to devise strategies to secure government funding for the OIST.
- Work closely with VPFM to negotiate with government offices.
- Take initiative in controlling the execution of public funding including procurement, travel, and meeting costs to advise other staff in the Division for Financial Management and prepare for internal/external auditing.
- Advise VPFM and other executives on matters of financial management as required.
- Work closely with VPFM om any issues and concerns that arise.
- Practical knowledge of budget execution/management, procurement, travel and meeting costs as well as management experience.
- least 5 years’ experience in government budgeting or negotiation with government offices
- least 5 years’ experience in controlling the execution of public funding
- Native level Japanese
- Basic level of English
- Have excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Business level English skills.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 6.1 million ~ 14.3 million yen (Job class: Manager~Senior Manager, A5-6)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in Japanese (and English if available)
- Curriculum vitae in Japanese (and English if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.