Facility Management Section, Assistant Manager (Mech Coordinator)
OIST was founded by the Japanese government to contribute to science and technology worldwide, attract leading researchers from Japan and abroad to conduct high-quality research, advance the development of a world-class research hub, and nucleate a knowledge cluster that will catalyze technology transfer and industrial innovation in Okinawa. In order to achieve this goal, we need to provide our researchers with a world-class research environment. The most important appointment of the Facilities Management Section is to properly maintain and manage the facilities within a limited budget.
The Facilities Management Section Assistant Manager supports the Section Manager in the maintenance and management of facilities and equipment. In particular, they are expected to contribute to extending the service life of facilities and equipment by preparing maintenance and repair plans for mechanical and HVAC (Heating, ventilation, and air conditioning) equipment. They are also required to prepare a justification for securing the budget and securing the required amount. Training and providing operational support to the facilities management section staff will also be part of the main responsibilities.
1. Budgeting support
・Support the section manager in the preparation of the budget for the maintenance of facilities and equipment.
・Obtain quotes from vendors and develop cost reduction strategies in the budget preparation.
・Review the reasonableness of the quoted price and the appropriateness of the work execution.
2. Preparation of facility maintenance work plans
・Support the section manager in the developing a facility maintenance work plan for the entire year
・Communication with the contracted maintenance contractor throughout the year to prepare a detailed implementation plan.
3. Creation of a large-scale repair plan
・Have a primarily responsible for preparing repair plans that focus on extending the service life of mechanical equipment.
・Create 5-year and 10-year plans for machinery and equipment repair
4. Vendor management
・Manage mechanical equipment-related contractors
・Supervise the construction work as needed.
5. Support for mechanical equipment design
・Provide advice and support for the design of machinery and equipment to Campus building section.
6. Training of staff
・Train less experienced facility management section staff.
- Clear and strong communication and documentation skills in both Japanese and English (TOEIC 800 points or higher)
- At least 10 years of work experience in mechanical equipment management, including design of mechanical equipment or on-site supervision of mechanical equipment construction
- Mechanical Design Engineer Level 2 or better, or equivalent qualifications
- Knowledge of laws and regulations required for the installation of machinery and equipment
- Bachelor's degree in mechanical engineering or higher
- Negotiation skills to coordinate with relevant government agencies and vendors
- More than 10 years of work experience using 2DCAD
- Communication skills to build good relationships with other groups
- Intermediate level of Microsoft Office
- Japanese driver’s license
- Practical experience in preparing facility equipment maintenance management plans
- Working experience with 3D CAD or BIM
- Qualification of chief engineer for piping work
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 1~3 referees when required, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).