Executive Assistant to the Vice President for Technology Development and Innovation
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Technology Development and Innovation Center (TDIC) fosters innovation at OIST and in the surrounding community to accelerate economic growth. TDIC is the technology development and commercialization hub at OIST and it leverages the university's research, world-class infrastructure, interdisciplinary environment, and culture of risk-taking to transform technologies from the laboratory into innovations that have social and economic benefit.
The Executive Assistant to the Vice President of Technology Development and Innovation provides high-level administrative support to the Vice President in a one-on-one working relationship. The Executive Assistant serves as the primary point of contact for internal and external constituencies on all matters pertaining to the Office of the Vice President.
- Complete a broad range of administrative tasks for the Vice President including: managing an active calendar of appointments; completing expense reports; arranging complex travel plans, itineraries and agendas; and compiling documents for travel related meetings
- Research, prioritize, and follow up on incoming issues addressed to the Vice President, keeping him well-informed of commitments and responsibilities
- Coordinate with other TDIC Sections and Divisions to compile reports and presentations
- Prepare the Vice President for senior-level meetings by managing related documents, minutes, and follow up
- Provide a bridge for smooth communications between the Vice President and internal Divisions, demonstrating leadership, trust, and support with other Executive and Senior Management staff
- Project/Program Management: Support operational planning process, business planning, budget management, and performance review cycles
- Organize, prioritize, and handle time-sensitive tasks and ensure that any action/attention required is addressed
- Coordinate the logistics and agenda for management team meetings and all-staff meetings
- Support correspondence for the Vice President in English and Japanese
- Provide general administrative support for visitors, events, and other activities of TDIC
- At least 5 years of experience as the executive assistant to an executive at an academic or research organization or private organization that are similar in nature and complexity to OIST
- Excellent interpersonal communication skills
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy, confidentiality, and attention to detail
- Excellent business-level verbal and written communication skills in English and Japanese
- Proficiency in MS Office (Word/Excel/PowerPoint/Outlook), contact management, and other office software and databases
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.