Assistant to the Dean of Faculty Affairs
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Assistant to the Dean of Faculty Affairs (DFA) plays a liaison role between the Faculty Affairs Office and other divisions and provides administrative support for matters relating to faculty members, research units, and their researchers. The tasks include but not limited to the followings:
- Manage Dean’s daily schedule and set up appointments. Duties also include agenda setting, coordinating requests, and preparing necessary documents. As necessary, attend meetings, including Faculty Assembly/Council to help the DFA prepare for action items.
- Act as a first point of contact with internal and external stakeholders by responding and filtering incoming inquiries and requests by emails and calls.
- Prepare reports and presentations for the Japanese Government and internal senior-level meetings. Duties include consolidating data, drafting documents, translating documents (English and Japanese), and taking minutes, and interpreting if required.
- Assist the DFA to organize Faculty Development events including travel and lodging arrangements of guest speakers. Assist DFA to implement Faculty Annual Performance Appraisal by conducting research, collecting information, and ensuring follow-up actions.
- Coordinate day-to-day activities of the office, including planning/reporting operating and personnel budgets.
- Assist the DFA with the resolution of faculty-related issues and faculty investigations/committees. Duties include handling highly confidential information, coordinating with stakeholders, communicating with government authorities, and ensuring follow-up actions.
- Secretarial/administrative experience (at least 5 years)
- Skillfully handle confidential information
- Ability to judge priorities and handle multiple tasks in a fast-paced working environment
- Excellent interpersonal skills and ability to coordinate tasks within the office and communicate with other divisions
- High level business writing skills in Japanese and in English. Advanced skills in writing meeting minutes in English (TOEIC 900 or higher).
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail.
- Computer skills and proficiency in software (MS Office: PowerPoint, Excel, Word, and Outlook)
- Some background of working at a research university will be a plus.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.9 M ~ 8.6 M JPY (Job class: Administrative III ~ Specialist I, A3-A4)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.