Executive Assistant to the COO/Office Manager for COO
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Chief Operating Officer (COO) is the final authority over all administrative matters at OIST. President, Provost and COO constitute the top leadership team of the University. Executive Assistant to the COO plays a key role in supporting the COO, and functions as the Office Manager for the Office of COO.
We seek a mature, experienced administrator with superb organizational skills and demonstrated ability to communicate with a diverse group of people at all levels.
- Manage COO’s schedule, travels, meetings, external and internal correspondences.
- Provide support for committees chaired by the COO, including scheduling meetings, preparing necessary materials, taking minutes, and following up with action items.
- As the office manager for the office of COO, s/he;
- Manages budget and staffing,
- Ensures the timely planning and completion of activities for which the COO is responsible,
- Serves as the resource for the COO staff on OIST policies, rules and practices,
- Organizes and coordinates events initiated by the COO, and
- Supervise administrative staff
- Serve as the liaison to the offices of the executives across OIST
- At least 5 years of experience as the executive assistant to an executive at an academic or research organization, or private organization that are similar in nature and complexity to OIST
- Excellent organizational skills
- Demonstrated ability to effectively interface with people at all levels
- Excellent written, oral, and presentation skills in Japanese and English
- At least 3 years of supervisory experience
- International working experience
- A bachelor’s degree from an accredited university, preferably in a field of social sciences, business, or natural sciences
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 7.2 million yen ~ (Job class: Manager ~ Senior Manager, A5-6)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).