Environmental Data Support Section- Section Leader
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) invites applications for the position of Section Leader for Environmental Data Support Section. The Section Leader for Environmental Data Support Section will manage marine and terrestrial environmental research support activities at OIST, focusing on data collection, data curation, and data analysis.
OIST has developed a new interdisciplinary model for education and research that brings together the best international graduate students and postdoctoral researchers to work side by side with world-class faculty members in modern well-equipped laboratories. Situated in a stunningly beautiful ecological setting on the island of Okinawa. OIST is a university that has no departments or artificial barriers that separate investigators in different fields. Its international student body and faculty represent nationalities from all over the world.
Concentrating initially on Neuroscience, Molecular Sciences, Mathematical Sciences, Environmental and Ecological Sciences and Physical Sciences, OIST attracts the best minds in the world to Okinawa to transform the way science and education is done in the global academic world.
The Section Leader for Environmental Data Support Section reports to the Provost and oversees collection and curation of land, sea, and satellite data at OIST.
As a key member of the OKEON Churamori project, the Section Leader for Environmental Data Support Section facilitates OIST faculty units and external researchers in designing projects using OKEON field sites, under guidance of the steering committee.
Management of marine and terrestrial environmental research support activities at OIST, focusing on data collection, data curation, and data analysis.
Management of collection and curation of land, sea, and satellite data and facilitate the distribution open access resources.
Be a key member of the OKEON Churamori project, including coordination of the steering committee, oversee management of the OKEON Churamori website, organizing collection and curation of core data streams, and participating in outreach activities
Facilitate OIST faculty units and external researchers in designing projects using OKEON field sites, under guidance of the steering committee.
Seek and pursue opportunities to expand the scope and impact of OKEON Churamori project, including developing national and international partnerships, and pursuing external funding.
Making a business plan for near future and next 10 years.
Staff management: Environmental Improvement (workplace and desk area), Work Sharing (Daily, Weekly, monthly and annual job: adequate workload), and irregular operation.
Career development of staff
Pursue original research using data collected from the OKEON Churamori project and other original research.
A PhD in a related field
Extensive experience in environmental data collection, curation, and analysis
A strong record of research experience and research accomplishment
Business level communication skills in English
Experience working in a team environment
Good collaborative skills relevant to a multi-user environment
Good communication and interpersonal skills
The ability to establish and maintain effective work relationships
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if possible)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if possible)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.