Division Assistant for Communication and Public Relations
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shorelines and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitate multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
The Communication and Public Relations Division (CPR) promotes understanding, appreciation, and support for OIST through external relations, professional media and marketing communications campaigns, with emphasis on digital, social and multimedia. The Division works to further the university's mission by engaging a broad audience that includes the general public of Okinawa and Japan, domestic and international scientific communities, government and funding agencies, industry and business development leaders, and students all over the world who are considering graduate careers in science and technology. The Division also fosters communication and cooperation within the graduate university through strategic internal communications. Output is delivered in both English and Japanese.
- Assist the Vice President with the organization of daily operations, including planning and meetings.
- Take minutes of meetings and draft reports where required in English and Japanese.
- Help manage and schedule appointments and travel (domestic and international), maintain and coordinate calendars, correspondence and email, where required.
- Manage the budget request and review processes, including preparation of the draft budget for the Vice President, review of the divisional budget, and communication with the Budget Section.
- Help manage and draft the Business Plan and Performance Evaluation for the division by coordinating with the Vice President and section managers and consolidating all input.
- File financial documentation for the Vice President, Translation Team, Proofreading Team, and Digital Services Team.
- Assist the Vice President with the organization of VIP visits and management of the guest book.
- Serve as the Secretariat for the Culture Committee and OIST University Press.
- Reply to inquiries submitted to the OIST Contact e-mail account.
- Coordinate with the Office of the President to help promote and organize Presidential Lectures and other related matters.
- Support other administrative work in the Division, as required.
- Carry out fact-finding research and prepare summaries using online data sources, library sources and individual contacts.
- Assist with translation and interpretation, as necessary.
- Bachelor’s degree
- Business-level Japanese and English (writing, reading, and speaking) with excellent communication skills
- Working experience of 2-3 years in administration and with budgeting
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively with senior officials and with diverse groups of people
- Well-organized, hardworking and skilled at handling confidential information
- Adept at working in a team and autonomously
- Ability to remain calm, organized, and provide support in crisis situations
- Exceptional computer skills, including experience with calendar management, MS office and databases
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer >Reference information is required for the manager and higher positions
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.