Diving Safety Officer
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST wishes to appoint a Diving Safety Officer. This person will be responsible for reviewing and supervising diving, and some other marine fieldwork activity, at OIST. The Diving Safety Officer will also be responsible for oversight of training and health check-ups for professional divers, and others at OIST involved in marine and relevant fieldwork. In addition, the Diving Safety Officer will supervise checking, maintenance and repair of diving and other marine and relevant fieldwork equipment. When technical diving is undertaken, the Diving Safety Officer will provide on-site supervision as necessary.
The Diving Safety Officer will report to the Head of the Occupational Health and Safety Section. There will be additional responsibilities as OIST grows.
- Assist in the review of diving plans, working with the OIST Fieldwork Safety Committee, and consulting external experts as necessary.
- Provide on-site supervision for technical dives.
- Check the training and health records for all involved in diving at OIST.
- Provide diving training as appropriate.
- Supervise the checking, maintenance and repair of diving equipment and some other marine and relevant fieldwork equipment.
- Review diving plans of outsourced works and make sure safety implementation of the work is maintained by the outsourced companies.
- An experienced diving safety manager.
- Fluent written and spoken Japanese, business level English.
- Excellent communication skills, familiar with dealing with local and national safety organizations.
- A leader who takes responsibility for the role and works well with OIST colleagues.
- Able to make quick and well-informed decisions under pressure.
- At least five years relevant experience in management of technical diving in a commercial, academic or government organization.
- Practical knowledge of relevant laws and regulations including Industrial Safety and Health Act and High Pressure Work Ordinance.
- Holding the national certificate of work diver (Sensui-shi)
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 7.2 million ~ 11.3 million yen (Job class: Specialist II, A5)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).