Diving Field Work Technician
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST is recruiting a professional diver who is directly responsible for safety and management of the diving operation.
In this position, when OIST faculty/staff/students are diving, snorkeling, or doing beach walks as part of research survey, the job is to ensure that ,as an on-site leader (site supervisor), they follow safety rules, health management, etc. according to the rules established by OIST to prevent accidents.
Our school has faculty members and students from all over the world, and there are various people who participate in fieldwork. It is expected to involve in diving from the planning stage. Although various opinions come out, it is necessary to have the ability to explain other party with firm ideas and policies to ensure safety and convince them. Ability of dialogue backed by sufficient experience is important. On the other hand, it is also important to have an attitude that is easy for them to talk to.
- On-site leader for OIST faculty/staff/students when diving, snorkeling, doing beach walks, etc.
- Diving with the OIST diver to ensure whether it is carried out according to the OIST rules and correct it on-site when unsafe acts are confirmed.
- OIST diver's health, safety management, skill check and other management operations.
- Creation of inspection implementation plan for diving and other marine equipment, implementation of inspection, and preparation of report.
- Auxiliary work at the marine station (experimental facility for raising fish).
- Collection of safety information regarding diving and snorkeling inside and outside the prefecture.
- Carrying heavy equipment (10 – 20 kg) for diving and experiment.
- Instructor qualification (more than 3 years full-time instructor experience), or more than 5 years diving experience in research field
- Sensuishi (Japanese diving license)
- Experience living and working in a multinational environment
- Japanese and English skills (more than Conversational level)
- Having diving experience and Information of the sea in Okinawa
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
*Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.