Diving Field Work Technician
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST is recruiting a professional diver who is directly responsible for safety and management of the diving operation.
We are seeking an experienced and motivated Scientific Diver to assist and support OIST faculty/staff/students who are diving, snorkeling, or doing beach walks as part of the research, which might include helping with specimens’ collections such as coral reef fish, coral and cephalopods. Furthermore, the successful candidate will be also responsible for overseeing and implementing safety procedures and health management according to the rules established at OIST to prevent accidents. The candidate will be also be required to maintain the university-wide field trips database and liaison with local authorities such as fishery association and boats rental companies.
Diving and snorkeling activities are expected to be performed in a tropical coral reef environment.
- Provide support during field activities such as, helping OIST scientists with specimens’ collection (i.e. fish, cephalopods, coral, water etc.), perform underwater ecological surveys and installing underwater probes.
- Safety management of OIST and visitor diver's health (including during diving), skill check and other management operations.
- Creation of inspection implementation plan for diving and other marine equipment, implementation of inspection, organize field trip logistics such as boat rental and preparation of field trip reports.
- Maintaining a university-wide marine field trips database and calendar.
- Minimum Diver Master qualification or more than 5 years of Scientific Diving experience.
- Experience living and working in a multinational environment
- English skills (more than Conversational level) and Japanese is preferred
- Holder of Sensuishi issued by the Japanese government, or if you are a non-Japanese applicant, holder of PADI divemaster certificate obtained in countries except for Japan
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00 - 17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
*Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).