Diving Field Work Specialist
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shorelines and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitate multidisciplinary research. Amazing resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the university, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
OIST is looking for a professional diver who will be directly responsible for the safety and management of diving operations. The experienced and motivated Diving Field Work Specialist will assist OIST faculty, staff, and students when they dive, snorkel or beach walk as part of their research. It is anticipated that diving and snorkeling activities will take place in a tropical coral reef environment. In doing so, the diver may be asked to assist in the collection of specimens of reef fish, corals, and cephalopods. In addition, the diver will be responsible for overseeing and enforcing safety procedures and health management, including field response, in line with the rules set out at OIST to prevent accidents. Along with these duties, the diver will also be required to maintain a university-wide field trip database and liaise with local agencies such as fisheries associations, relevant local authorities, and companies. The diver will also be required to develop plans to establish a diving team as a future initiative.
- Participate in field activities as an on-site leader, supervise field activities by monitoring students and researchers participating in the dives and assuring that necessary safety protocols are met, providing instructions or consulting with lead diver to suspend/halt activities as necessary.
- Provide support during field activities such as helping OIST scientists with specimens’ collection (i.e., fish, cephalopods, coral, water, etc.), perform underwater ecological surveys, and installing underwater probes.
- Conduct day-to-day inspect of diving and other marine equipment, organize field trip logistics such as boat rental, and support preparation of field trip reports.
- Maintain a university-wide marine field trip database and calendar.
- Advise and assist in the preparation of fieldwork applications.
- Other Services related to the marine stations under the jurisdiction of the Section.
- Holder of Sensuishi issued by the Japanese government (for non-Japanese applicant, holder of divemaster certificate obtained in countries except for Japan).
- Minimum Dive Master qualification with three years of experience or more than five years of marine science experience.
- High quality personal diving skills.
- General understanding of dive leader role.
- Interest and ability to serve as a mentor to student and researchers.
- Experience living and working in a multinational environment
- Fluent in Japanese with conversational level English skills
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.