Director for University Community Services
OIST now has a thousand people studying or working on campus, and their overall wellbeing is seen as a key to their success at OIST and the success of OIST as an institution. The University Community Services (UCS) Division provides campus-wide community services that enhance the lives of students, staff and families at OIST. The Division is responsible for the management/administration of community services including: the Resource Center, Recreation Services, Language Training, Food Services, Ganjuu Wellbeing Service, Child Development Center, and provision of information and support regarding schooling options for non Japanese families. Some of these sections are partially funded through fees collected from the users together with government subsidies to the University.
Under the direction of the Chief Operating Officer (COO), this position works under broad, administrative direction with responsibility for providing strategic leadership and direction in the planning, implementing, improving, and evaluating of an administrative department and promoting operational improvements. The Director for University Community Services reports directly to the COO.
These responsibilities require a high-level understanding of a broad range of administrative roles in a university setting. The successful candidate will have a background in operations, project management, finance, human resources, management (of managers as well as line level staff) and excellent organizational skills. They will have the ability to interact professionally and diplomatically with all sections of the university, experience meeting government standards and reporting requirements, and excellent communication skills in dealing with external organizations, as well as OIST faculty and students.
This is a full-time administrative position to ensure ongoing and continuing leadership of the UCS Division.
The Director for University Community Services has responsibility for leading the UCS Division in:
- Developing and implementing long-and short-term goals and plans for achieving the Division’s mission, while utilizing appropriate organizational, financial, and personnel resources and strategies
- Structuring and prioritizing key Division issues as well as facilitating the seamless implementation of all new initiatives for the the Resource Center, Recreation Services, Language Services, Food Services, Ganjuu Wellbeing Service, Child Development Center, and the co-ordination of educationa opportunities for non Japanese children.
- Identifying and analyzing key data to support strategic initiatives for the the Resource Center, Language Services, Recreation Services, Food Services, Ganjuu Wellbeing Service, Child Development Center, and education co-ordination.
- Creating reports for university committees, governing boards, audits, and reviews by government, including collecting and analyzing relevant data
- Supporting the development of training materials and programs to enhance University Community Service staff members’ professional development and daily performance
- Developing high level internal communications plans and tactical communications in order to promote University Community Services to the OIST community
- Providing ongoing administrative oversight and effective stewardship of appropriate University Community Services resources, initiatives, staff, and activities, including budgets; supervision; and evaluation and improvement of University Community Services effectiveness and outcomes.
We are seeking a person with a strong university management background. People with this background have usually held a broad range of university leadership positions.
- Master’s degree in business, educational leadership or other related discipline
- Established administrative and leadership ability and experience in a research university
- Excellent written and oral communication skills in English.
- Experience collaborating with a broad range of stakeholders.
- Experience working effectively with a diverse student, faculty, and staff population, ability to communicate effectively with people who use English as a second language, and commitment to diversity, equity and inclusion.
- Demonstrated effectiveness in personnel supervision and management.
- Experience developing, administering, and managing budgets
- Experience in organizational development, change management, policy development and process improvements.
- Experience in school operations and management
- Experience managing service offices and meeting the needs of diverse stakeholders
- 10+ years of experience in a research university setting
- Experience in strategy development, leadership principles and change management
- Experience developing staff training and developing the administrative and managerial skills of others
- Experience with implementing communications plans
- Demonstrated knowledge of business intelligence analysis and the creation of actionable metrics
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30(Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).