Director of Emergency Response, Health and Safety
OIST is searching for an experienced Director for OIST emergency response, health and safety activities. The Director will co-ordinate the efforts of the Occupational Health and Safety Section and the OIST Health Centre. The Director will also act as Emergency Response Co-Ordinator. Areas of accountability include laboratory and fieldwork safety, industrial health, personal health and wellbeing, school health and safety, and emergency planning and training.
Reporting to the Chief Operating Officer, the Director will be responsible for ensuring that OIST complies with all Japanese Health and Safety laws. The Director will facilitate the Occupational Health and Safety Committee, Field Work Safety Committee and any Emergency Response Committee. The Director will work with the Head of Occupational Health and Safety and the Industrial Physician to plan and implement safety and health promotion activities. The Director will collaborate with key internal and external stakeholders to ensure OIST emergency preparedness, response and recovery.
- Ensure OIST compliance with all Japanese Health and Safety laws while implementing international best practices where appropriate.
- Collaborate closely with the relevant divisions/sections of OIST and external emergency services to implement an emergency preparedness plan and play a key role in emergency response and recovery by providing expert instructions and solutions.
- Lead the immediate OIST response to any serious incident, communicating with OIST community and liaising with emergency services.
- Undertake regular safety audit of OIST campus to identify and remedy potential hazards that could lead to a major incident or contribute to its severity.
- Co-ordinate the OHS Section and the OIST Health Center to ensure health checks, stress checks and appropriate follow up actions are carried out in a timely manner.
- Support the Occupational Health and Safety Committee, Field Work Safety Committee and any Emergency Response Committee.
- Plan and implement safety, health and wellbeing promotion activities.
- Oversee reports and related documents on occupational health and safety as required by law.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Chief Operating Officer
- At least ten years relevant experience in safety management, preferable experience in major incident prevention and/or response
- At least five years of managerial experience
- Master’s degree or above in a relevant area or equivalent Health and Safety qualification, such as medical doctor, occupational health doctor, Emergency Service qualification.
- Practical knowledge of relevant laws and regulations including Fire Prevention Law.
- Fluent written and spoken Japanese, business level English.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment, experience preferred.
- Effective computer skills, ability to carry out daily tasks using MS Office and other enterprise applications
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30(Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).