Director of Core Facilities
OIST has developed world-class core research facilities, comprising animal resources, environmental research and data support, engineering, imaging, instrument analysis, a marine station, scientific computing, and sequencing. We now seek a senior leader for these core facilities, with the vision and skill to further develop their capability. “Director of Core Facilities” reports to the Provost and works closely with faculty and Core Facility Section Leaders (section leaders).
- Work with the section leaders to further develop world class research core facilities.
- Manage the administrative processes of Core Facilities’ such as budget request, coordinate requests for new equipment and staff.
- Ensure fair access to facilities, optimized investment, effective use, and develop long-term equipment renewal plans in collaboration with faculty and section leaders.
- Cooperate with HR to provide training opportunities to facility staff and develop staff career path for sustainable operation of the core facilities.
- Seek to enhance external networks such as mutual use of core facilities and participating in core technologies networks in Japan and internationally.
- Apply for grants to further enhance facilities in collaboration with section leaders.
- Implementation and management of a campus wide equipment reservation and management system.
- Study and implement appropriate internal cost charging model.
- Organize fee-for-use services to external users/companies in collaboration with section leaders
- Present the core facilities at external events and create significant digital resources such as webpages to attract collaborators and users.
- Manage assignment of core facility administrators to maintain smooth operation of the core facilities in collaboration with section leaders
- Develop, implement and manage relevant rules, procedures, system and staff to achieve above items, and to standardize the service flow throughout the core facilities.
- Perform other duties assigned by the Provost
- Specific technical expertise in relevant technologies, with at least 10 years of experience managing a group of facilities
- Significant technical track record, with PhD or equivalent qualification
- Leadership experience in diverse and multicultural settings
- Highly flexible and innovative
- Sense of fairness, compliance and teamwork
- Excellent communication skill in English and ability to solve problems. Ability to communicate in Japanese is desired, but not required
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1-2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).