The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
This diverse role will see the successful applicant taking a lead role as part of the infrastructure team to architect, develop, deploy and maintain OIST Linux services, including the OIST Openstack cloud. This team position will work to provide servers and services to support the activities researchers, faculty, students and administrative staff across the University. This role will support researchers working at the forefront of their fields, and be exposed to a wide breadth of new technologies, systems and application challenges.
- Architect, deploy and maintain OIST Linux services, including the OIST Openstack cloud
- Automate deployment, maintenance and monitoring tasks as required
- Develop and deploy new systems to further automate management, monitoring and upkeep of Linux services at OIST as required
- Interacting with OIST researchers, vendors, technology partners
- Produce high quality documentation of for all systems and services deployed
- Ensuring backup processes are in place and functional
- Perform other duties as assigned
- Bachelor’s degree in Information Technology or Computer Science, or at least 5 years of Linux System Administration experience
- Extensive experience in developing, deploying and operating Linux services
- Demonstrated experience in Openstack and KVM virtualization of Linux servers
- Demonstrated contributions to the open source community (github contribution/commits etc.)
- Excellent time management, teamwork and organizational skills
- Experience with Linux automated installation and management, ideally with systems such as Kickstart, Puppet, Ansible or Chef
- Solid programming and scripting skills in bash, Python, Perl, C
- A good understanding of authentication and authorization services under Linux, such as LDAP, Kerberos, SPNEGO and SAML
- Experience with monitoring systems such as Nagios, Cacti, Zabbix etc.
- At least business level English (TOEIC 750 or above)
- Experience working in a university/research environment
- Experience working with AWS
- RHCE certification
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5.5 million yen – 8.6 million yen (Job class: Specialist I, A4))
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vitae in English, including response to requirements for Responsibilities and Qualifications
- Cover letter in English
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).