Developmental Neurobiology Unit / Technician
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Developmental neurobiology unit in the OIST has investigated the mechanism of vertebrate retinal development, especially neuronal diffrenetiation and neural circuit formation, using zebrafish as an animal model. Furthermore, the unit has also investigated the mechanism underlying photoreceptor degeneration and regeneration. Throughout these research projects, we will establish novel concepts that govern development of multicellular organisms and also contribute to understanding pathological processes involved in human eye diseases.
Information on our research is shown in our lab URL ( https://groups.oist.jp/dnu ).
We are searching one or two technicians, who will work following tasks.
- Breeding and maintenance of zebrafish
- Maintenance of zebrafish facility
- Support of research projects
Applicants should have Bachelor, Master degree or phD in the field of biology.
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, appointment for 1 year contract initially with 3 month probationary period (renewable)
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Or send documents via post mail to:
Mizuki Otake (Ms), Developmental Neurobiology Unit
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Curriculum vitae with photograph
- Brief description of your past work and short explanation of application’s reasons for applying (A4, 1-2 pages)
- One recommendation letter from the current or past supervisor
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.