The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The successful candidate will be working as part of the Service and Support Section to enable researchers, faculty, students and administrative staff across the University to get the most from OIST IT services. Applicants need to be flexible, a quick learner, and have a good general knowledge of IT, specifically of Mac OSX and Apple platform.
This role will form part of the IT support team, under the manager of Service and Support Section, to provide:
- Responses to requests for technical assistance in person, via phone, or electronically
- Setup and installation of new computers, printers or other IT hardware
- Diagnosis and resolution of a variety of technical hardware and software issues
- Support to seminar and workshops as needed; attending to and assisting in AV equipment operation and video conference
- Creation of documentation as appropriate
- Previous experience in IT or certification/training in information technology or a related field
- A good understanding of computer hardware, and operating system installation
- A good knowledge of Mac OSX
- A good knowledge of the Windows operating system, and standard applications such as word, excel etc.
- A basic understanding of networking concepts; computer networking configuration etc.
- Proven ability to create user documentation such as HOWTOs, guides etc.
- The ability of business level Japanese and English.
- Communication skills, and the ability to discuss and achieve consensus using English and Japanese.
- A degree in information technology or a related field
- Experience with automated operating system installation
- A good knowledge of the newest business Microsoft products (Office365, inTune, etc.)
- Experience working for IT support desk
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.2 million yen ~ 5.0 million yen (Job class: Administrative Staff II , A2)
Annual paid leave, summer holidays, Private School Mutual Aid.
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).