Dean for Faculty Affairs
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST rapidly is gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Under the leadership of the newly appointed President, Dr. Peter Gruss, OIST is now embarking on an exciting new stage of growth to double the size of the University by 2023. The Dean for Faculty Affairs will play a key role in this major expansion and will have a unique opportunity to contribute to the growth of a dynamic new university.
- Foster an environment of academic excellence and a collaborative community of international scholars
- Contribute to shaping the goals, organization, and areas of research of the Faculty
- Oversee faculty recruitment, appointment, promotion, sabbaticals, leaves, etc.
- Set and review Faculty compensation
- Administer the review of research performance of the Faculty Research Units
- Administer the Faculty Handbook, the Tenure and Promotions Handbook, and related Faculty documents
- Develop, maintain and update, as needed, all policies related to faculty affairs.
- Maintain a database of Faculty information, service, and performance
- Oversee faculty and researcher compliance with health and safety rules and regulations required of the head of a research unit
- Manage personnel issues within the Faculty Research Units
- Manage the Science and Technology Group and the Postdoctoral Scholar program
- Maintain a close working relationship with the other Deans, Vice Presidents, and University offices and committees to facilitate communication and to develop new policies
- Support policies and environment to foster gender equality
- Serve as a member of the University Executive Committee
- Success in attracting and retaining outstanding faculty and researchers and creating a strong and dynamic research community
- Ability to inspire and motivate staff
- Management leadership experience in faculty affairs in an academic research environment, preferably as Chair of a Department, Dean or Vice Dean, or similar role
- PhD or equivalent degree in science, technology, or engineering
- Outstanding scholarship, leadership and commitment to educational and research excellence
- Experience in policy development
- Experience with career development and mentoring
- Success in promoting and achieving diversity in an academic setting
- Leadership experience in an international academic environment
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills
- Able to respond quickly and flexibly to challenges
- Excellent written and oral English language
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 12.7 million yen ~ 19.9 million yen (Job class: Vice President/Dean, A8)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (Kousei Nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (Roudousha Saigai Hoshou Hoken)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available) that details experience and fit relative to the responsibilities and qualifications for the position.
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available) with educational and employment background, including names and contact information for five references.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).