Curriculum and Programs Section Manager
The OIST Graduate School is responsible for the life-cycle of students at OIST, from student recruiting, through to graduation. The Graduate School is currently composed of five sections; the Dean’s office which oversees the Curriculum and Programs Section, Academic Affairs Section, Student Affairs Section, Admissions and Registrar Section, and External Engagement Section. All sections work together to achieve the goals of the Graduate School.
Working within the OIST Graduate School, the Curriculum and Programs (CP) Section (Senior) Manager will oversee the CP section activities to successfully achieve its goals. The CP Section goals include working with faculty and other OIST divisions to design educational programs (for credit and not-for credit), develop and implement co-curricular programs such as professional and career development and Humanities for Science, manage courses (e.s. syllabi, scheduling, teaching evaluations, etc.), develop collaborative partnership programs with other universities, expand our online teaching capabilities, provide faculty resources for student academic support, and develop new academic programs. In addition, the CP Section (Senior) Manager will fulfill responsibilities as a GS section manager as described below.
- Oversee CP section activities toward successful completion of its goals (described above)
- Coordinate the continuous improvement of our educational and professional training programs
- Lead the development of the academic components of new programs
- Develop and provide faculty resources for effective teaching, mentoring, and supervision
- Create and execute section business plan
- Manage section staff
- Develop and execute the section budget
- Contribute to division-wide reports and surveys
- Coordinate with other GS section managers to ensure that the division goals are achieved
- Assist the Vice Dean and Dean of Graduate School in division-wide initiatives and planning
- Represent GS in committees
- Identify ways to improve section work efficiency
- Proficiency in English
- PhD in science or technology by research
- Experience in teaching at a university level
- Track record of successful graduate program development and curriculum coordination
- Experience with faculty perspectives either by having been an academic faculty member or supporting them closely
- Demonstrated abilities to coordinate faculty activities
- Familiarity with contemporary academic program development
- Prior experience in managing a team
- Demonstratable excellence in leadership skills
- Ability to work in a complex, multicultural teamwork environment at an academic institution
- Previously held an academic leadership position at a university
- Japanese language
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be extended and has a potential for permanent employment.
9:00-17:30 (7.5hrs) per day on normal business days, with occasional weekend work
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
HR Recruiting Support Section
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Cover letter in English
- Curriculum vitae in English
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.