Cryo-Electron Microscopy Specialist
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Imaging Section is a part of Research Support Division of OIST, who manage research core facilities on light and electron microscopy, and provide technical support on those for research. Imaging Section has been adopted to a member of the project “Basis for Supporting Innovative Drug Discovery and Life Science Research (BINDS, FY2017-FY2021)” funded by Japan Agency for Medical Research (AMED). We provide technical support services on molecular structural analysis using cryo-electron microscopy to external researchers through AMED and develop the technology and services.
Cryo-Electron Microscopy Specialist will be employed on the AMED grant for BINDS, and takes responsibilities described below, while reporting the Imaging Section Leader.
- Provide support services on structural analysis of proteins, etc. on cryo-sample preparation, data acquisition and analysis.
- Provide users with appropriate trainings and fair access to the cryo-TEMs and relevant equipment, and monitor the usage of the facility.
- Provide consultations about cryo-imaging, measurement and analysis, and/or support services on cryo-sample preparation, machine operation for data acquisition, and data analysis.
- In addition to the daily communication with the users, hold periodical user meetings to encourage communication among the users for sharing understandings and solving problems.
- Expand the coverage of support by introducing the latest technologies to the users and by getting professional technical trainings.
- Contribute to collaborative relationships with other domestic and international institutes.
- Maintain cryo-TEMs and relevant equipment including sample prep devices at the best condition, and manage reagents and consumables for cryo electron microscopy.
- Support purchase and procurement by requesting necessary equipment based on the need from the users, by documentation of the specifications of the equipment, and by communicating with the makers and venders, etc.
- Other duties as required in the Section.
- Specific expertise in cryo-electron microscopy, with ability to prepare samples, to manage cryo-TEMs, to analyze data, and to support users.
- Expertise in single particle analysis and structure solution software.
- Significant research track record, with Ph.D or equivalent qualification.
- Work experience in a core facility of universities or institutes for science is desirable.
- Sense of fairness, compliance and teamwork in diverse and multicultural settings.
- Excellent communication skill in English. Ability to communicate in Japanese is preferred, but not required.
- Proactive participation in technical and organizational improvement, collaborating with colleagues and clients.
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 5.0 million ~ 10.7 million yen (Job class: Research Support Specialist I-II, RS2-3)
- Housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ ), welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin), worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Curriculum vita in English (and Japanese if available)
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Recruiting Team, HR Management Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).