Construction Management Specialist
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
One of the fundamental roles of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management is planning and managing design and construction of new buildings and facilities for OIST in accordance with the framework of OIST’s expansion plans. The Campus Building Section within the Division is responsible for this important task. The Construction Management Specialist will be responsible for management of assigned new construction, including new buildings, roads, infrastructure, and additions or alterations to the existing facilities of the Institute. Responsibilities of the Construction Management Specialist also include coordination with other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management internally; and with the consultants, contractors, government agencies, and other relevant parties externally. The Construction Management Specialist will report directly to the Senior Manager in charge of construction.
- Participating in review of planning and design process of new facilities and infrastructure.
- Preparation of preliminary construction cost estimate for budgetary purposes.
- Review and evaluation of interim and final construction cost estimate of new projects.
- Coordination with the local, regional and national government agencies for relevant permits and approvals for the construction projects, including preparation and presentation of necessary documents.
- Preparation of construction bid documents in coordination with the consultants and other members the Building and Facilities Management Division.
- Coordination with the construction contractors, evaluation of bid results and selection of successful contractors for the new projects.
- Site supervision, construction management, quality control, cost control, and schedule management of the new constructions during construction period.
- Preparation of periodical report of the construction status of new construction for internal review by relevant parties, and for external review by the government authorities.
- Coordination of necessary procedures upon completion of construction, including final inspections and approvals, obtaining occupancy permits, and commissioning process.
- Preparation and presentation of necessary financial and technical reports for internal and external audit of the contracts of the Section.
- Coordination and cooperation with the management and other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management.
- Experience and demonstrated skills in management of construction of large and medium-size projects.
- Advanced knowledge of the process of all facets of construction projects from inception to completion of construction.
- Outstanding communication and negotiations skills.
- Ability to analyze, manage and mitigate risks.
- Minimum 15 years of experience in construction industry with similar responsibilities either independently or as the employee of an organization.
- Knowledgeable in the Japanese laws and regulations applicable to construction, fire protection, environmental protection, and other regulations that may apply to complete a project in Japan.
- BSc/BA or higher degree in Architecture, Construction Management, Engineering or related filed.
- Native Japanese speaker.
- Ability to communicate and interact with the Japanese and international members of OIST in English or Japanese.
- Ability to coordinate with the Japanese and international consultants and contractors in English or Japanese.
- First Class Architectural or Construction Management License in Japan.
- Experience of working in an International Environment.
- Experience of working on government projects and handling subsidy budgets.
- Experience of working in a University Campus.
- Experience of working in Okinawa with local consultants and contractors.
- Fluent in written and spoken English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations based on experiences and qualifications
Annual salary: 6.1 million yen ~ 11.4 million yen (Job class:Specialist I, A5)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3referees, one of which should be a previous employee
*Please make sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).