Community Relations Staff
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Community Relations Staff offers guided campus tours for individuals and customized tours for industry, government, and local organizations. S/he plans and organize various events such as science programs for school students, cultural events, etc.
The Community Relations Section website (https://www.oist.jp/community-activities)
1. Plan and organize science programs for school students
2. Organize visits by high school students and others
3. Plan and organize cultural events
4. Update section website
5. Receive phone calls and correspond to inquiries from the outside
6. Manage purchase orders and travel request with an accounting system
1. Business level English (TOEIC 800 or higher) and native level Japanese
2. Strong communication verbal skills when dealing stakeholders
3. Computer proficiency (Word, Excel, Power Point, etc)
4. Ability to perform tasks as a team player
5. Work experience related to customer services
1. Experience in science communication
2. Knowledge of basic science, experience in science teaching
3. Work experience as an event coordinator/guide for group visits
4. Work experience in international environment
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4M yen ~ (Job class: Administrative staff I-II, A1-A2)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Cover letter in both English and Japanese
Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.