Chief Operating Officer
The goal of OIST to become a world-class university includes achieving excellence in management. The COO is expected to contribute to making OIST a model of efficient and effective management that provides high performance administrative services and supports the core values of OIST.
OIST seeks a committed and enthusiastic individual who will implement the long-term vision for growth of the University. The COO will be thoughtful and innovative in the development and implementation of a strategic business plan. The COO will command the respect of stakeholders including the Faculty, the Board of Governors, the Board of Councilors internally, and government agencies and public and private organizations externally.
- Support and advise the President for the growth and operation of the University
- Coordinate and oversee non-academic functions of the university, including finance, human resources, facilities, administration, compliance, and campus health and safety
- Implement effective management that provides efficient and high-performance administrative services
- Manage risk and health and safety
- Manage cross-division/office projects or issues that are not included in responsibilities of other executives
- Coordinate effective relations with the Japanese Government and other external organizations
- Ability to communicate in English and Japanese
- Extensive experience in senior leadership positions at an academic or research organization, or public or private organizations of relevant complexity
- Outstanding leadership skills
- Outstanding business planning and analytical skills, including demonstrated ability to identify and utilize best practices and performance benchmarks
- Demonstrated ability to interface effectively with people at all levels
- Exceptional written, oral, interpersonal, and presentation skills in English
- Demonstrated commitment to a diverse university
- International working experience
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 3 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Letter of intent in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).