Chief Information Officer
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The University's IT Resource environment serves the needs of more than 1,200 faculty, researchers, students and administrative staff, including hundreds of managed computers (Windows and Mac) and servers (Windows and Linux), and research laptops, workstations and network-enabled equipment, as well as operating two high-performance clusters for general (>60,000 cores) and data-intensive (100 GPU) research computing, and managing a large research data storage and backup system.
- As a senior member of the OIST management, provide leadership and direction in all aspects of the University’s computing environment
- Define, develop, and implement the overall ICT and information security strategy and policies to facilitate and deliver world-leading research and teaching, and an efficient administration
- Lead and develop the University’s digital transformation strategy and contribute to the development of the University’s research strategy
- Oversee the research and administrative computing services and ensure that they conform to the University’s policies, meet the University’s needs, and comply with relevant regulatory requirements
- Ensure the protection of the University’s IT and digital assets, maintaining integrity, security, and privacy of information
- Provide advice and guidance to all areas of the university on ICT procurement and vendor contract negotiations (hardware, software, and major infrastructure and systems)
- Develop and monitor the annual ICT budget
- Engage and represent the interests of the University in national and international ICT initiatives
- At least seven years of experience in information, computing, and networking technology in a research environment
- Experience of managing administrative computing and networking
- Strong commitment to and experience of computing and networking security
- Fluent in English with some Japanese an advantage
- Extensive experience in high level management of research or education ICT environments
- A Ph.D. in a science or science-related discipline, with some post-doctoral experience an advantage
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2-3 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
- Letter of intent in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities (https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (https://www.oist.jp).