CDC Pre-School Teachers
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
To provide nursery and early-childhood education for the children of staff, students and faculty of the University, we have established a Child Development Center (CDC). The preschool program of the CDC provides excellent quality nursery care and early childhood education for 70 children in English and Japanese from the ages of 2 months through to 6 years. It is expected that the center will become a leading example of high-quality early childhood education in Japan.
To provide excellent quality childcare for infants and children of employees and students, OIST is seeking to appoint nursery and preschool teachers for children from the ages of 2 months to 6 years. The teachers will support the children of OIST staff by fostering growth in the areas of social, emotional, cognitive, and physical development through hands on and interactive play in a creative structured environment by:
- Maintaining a safe nursery environment
- Guiding infant and child development in social and academic areas
- Assessing developmental progress
- Creating supplemental work for specialized learning.
- Communicating children’s progress with parents
- Collaborating with other teachers and administrators
- Early Childhood Education certification or equivalent experience
- Highly competent English or Japanese Speaker
- Excellent communication and organization skills
- Effective behavior management skills
- Eligibility to work in Japan
- Experience with teaching in a multicultural or bilingual classroom environment
Term & Working Hours
Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
7.5 hours per day, 5 days per week (Mon-Fri)
Shifts are assigned within 07:30am through 18:00pm
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Cover letter in English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in English (and Japanese if available)
- Copy of education related certifications if available
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. The personal information you provide will only be used to recruitment selection.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.