Campus Building Section, Mechanical Equipment Construction Coordinator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
One of the fundamental roles of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management is planning and managing the design and construction of new buildings and facilities for OIST in accordance with the framework of OIST’s expansion plans. The Campus Building Section within the Division is responsible for this important task. The Mechanical Equipment Construction Coordinator will be responsible for the coordination of "mechanical equipment construction" for the renovation of existing facilities. Responsibilities of the Mechanical Equipment Construction Coordinator also include coordination with other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management internally, and with the consultants, contractors, government agencies, and other relevant parties externally. The Mechanical Equipment Construction Coordinator will report directly to the Senior Manager in charge of construction.
- Participate in the review of planning and design process for mechanical equipment of new facilities and infrastructure.
- Support preparation of preliminary mechanical equipment cost estimate for budgetary purposes.
- Participation in reviewing the mechanical equipment cost estimate of new projects.
- Coordination with the local, regional, and national government agencies for relevant permits and approvals for the mechanical equipment of the construction projects, including preparation and presentation of necessary documents.
- Preparation of construction bid documents related to mechanical equipment in coordination with the consultants and other members of the Building and Facilities Management Division.
- Coordination with the construction contractors, participation in evaluation of bid results, and selection of successful contractors for the new projects.
- Participation in site supervision, construction management, quality control, cost control, and schedule management of mechanical equipment for the new constructions during the construction period.
- Participation in preparing periodical report of the construction status of new construction for internal review by relevant parties, and for external review by the government authorities.
- Coordination of necessary procedures upon completion of construction, including final inspections and approvals, obtaining occupancy permits, and commissioning process.
- Participation in preparing necessary financial and technical reports for internal and external audit of the contracts of the Section.
- Coordination and cooperation with the management and other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management.
- Experience in mechanical equipment construction coordination or mechanical equipment design/supervision in construction projects (at least 6 years in total)
- Knowledge of the process of construction projects from inception to completion of mechanical equipment.
- Good communication and negotiations skills.
- Ability to analyze, manage and mitigate risks.
- Knowledgeable in the Japanese laws and regulations applicable to the construction, fire protection, environmental protection, and other regulations that may apply to complete a project in Japan.
- BSc/BA or higher degree in Engineering, Architecture, or related filed.
- Native level of Japanese language
- Ability to communicate and interact with the Japanese and international members of OIST.
- Ability to coordinate with the Japanese and international consultants and contractors.
- Building Mechanical Engineering License and/or similar one in Japan.
- MEP Construction Engineering License
- Experience of working on government projects and handling subsidy budgets.
- Experience of working in Okinawa with local consultants and contractors.
- Good in written and spoken English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).