Campus Building Section, Mechanical Coordinator
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
One of the fundamental roles of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management is planning and managing design and construction of new buildings and facilities for OIST in accordance with the framework of OIST’s expansion plans. The Campus Building Section within the Division is responsible for this important task. The MEP Coordinator will be responsible for management of assigned new construction, including new buildings, infrastructure, and additions or alterations to the existing facilities of the Institute. Responsibilities of the MEP Coordinator also include coordination with other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management internally, and with the consultants, contractors, government agencies, and other relevant parties externally. The MEP Coordinator will report directly to the Senior Manager in charge of construction.
- Participate in review of planning and design process for new facilities and infrastructure.
- Support preparation of preliminary construction cost estimate for budgetary purposes.
- Participation of reviewing construction cost estimate of new projects.
- Coordination with the local, regional, and national government agencies for relevant permits and approvals for the construction projects, including preparation and presentation of necessary documents.
- Preparation of construction bid documents in coordination with the consultants and other members the Building and Facilities Management Division.
- Coordination with the construction contractors, participation of evaluation of bid results and selection of successful contractors for the new projects.
- Participation of site supervision, construction management, quality control, cost control, and schedule management of the new constructions during construction period.
- Participation of preparing periodical report of the construction status of new construction for internal review by relevant parties, and for external review by the government authorities.
- Coordination of necessary procedures upon completion of construction, including final inspections and approvals, obtaining occupancy permits, and commissioning process.
- Participation of preparing necessary financial and technical reports for internal and external audit of the contracts of the Section.
- Coordination and cooperation with the management and other members of the Division of Buildings and Facilities Management.
- Experience (over 10years) and demonstrated skills in management of construction projects in terms of mechanical & plumbing aspects.
- Knowledge of the process of construction projects from inception to completion of construction.
- Good communication and negotiations skills.
- Ability to analyze, manage and mitigate risks.
- Knowledgeable in the Japanese laws and regulations applicable to construction, fire protection, environmental protection, and other regulations that may apply to complete a project in Japan.
- BSc/BA or higher degree in Engineering, Architecture, or related filed.
- Native Japanese speaker
- Ability to communicate and interact with the Japanese and international members of OIST.
- Ability to coordinate with the Japanese and international consultants and contractors.
- Building Mechanical Engineering License and/or similar one in Japan.
- MEP Construction Engineering License
- Experience of working on government projects and handling subsidy budgets.
- Experience of working in Okinawa with local consultants and contractors.
- Good in written and spoken English
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year/2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.