Budget Section Manager
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
As a manager, s/he is responsible for coordinating formulation of annual budget of OIST and monitoring of its implementation. S/he supports VPFM in presenting OIST budget proposals and implementation results to OIST stakeholders. At a practitioner level, s/he represents OIST during the negotiation of OIST budget proposals (i.e. funding request for government subsidies for the operation of the university) by presenting justification and explanations based on OIST’s strategy and business plan. S/he coordinates the allocation of budgetary funds within OIST. S/he is responsible for filing of government subsidy transmission requests and their reporting requirements. S/he is responsible for management of the Budget Section and to oversee professional development of its staff members.
- Compilation of annual budget proposals and subsidy funding requests to the Japanese government.
- Preparation of presentation materials and budget request briefing materials to the government.
- Respond to inquiries and information requests from the Japanese government.
- Preparation of Budget Plan based on the budget and income and expenditure statement.
- Coordinate and develop budget allocation plan amongst OIST divisions.
- Monitor and manage execution of annual budget.
- Preparation of necessary documents for Application, Invoicing, Application for Carry-over and usage report of Government subsidy funds.
- Address questions and information requests from various audit activities through the financial year.
- Provide instructions and advice to divisions regarding the regulatory requirements for using government subsidy and OIST financial procedures
- Manage and supervise Budget Section
- Perform other tasks assigned by VP for Financial Management.
＊The candidate must be prepared to transfer to other positions in Accounting and Procurement as requested in the future.
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in budget and accounting affairs
- Native level Japanese skills
- Business level English skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationship with various stakeholders within diverse international and multi-cultural environment
- High level of computer skills including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel PowerPoint)
- Experience using an ERP system (SAP preferred)
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Demonstrated ability to effectively develop and implement coordinated solution to resolve problems amongst stakeholders with conflicting interests.
- Preparedness to be transferred to other positions in Accounting and Procurement as requested in the future.
- Experience in budget request tasks at government or government-affiliated organization(s)
- Working experience in budget or accounting section of a national university/national research institution
- Working experience in financial system implementation
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30(Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.