Budget Section Manager
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
As a manager, lead the preparation of budget request (subsidies for the operation of the university) to the government and will be responsible for the negotiation. S/he coordinates the preparation of budget allocation at OIST, and handle the application procedures of subsidy such as an application for use of subsidy and reporting of use of subsidy. S/he performs management tasks including the management of the Budget Section and support for staff development.
- Compilation of budget (subsidy) request information to the government within the organization
- Preparation of budget request briefing materials to the government
- Budget briefing to the government
- Preparation of Business Plan and Budget Plan based on the budget
- Preparation of budget allocation plan within OIST
- Document preparation for Application, Invoicing, Carry-over of subsidy and Reporting of use of subsidy
- Corresponding to the audit of subsidy, Board of Audit
- Provide instructions and advice regarding the rule of government subsidy and internal budget procedures
- Corresponding to various surveys regarding subsidy
- Management of the section
- Other tasks assigned by VP for Financial Management
- Minimum 7 years of relevant experience in budget, accounting and general affairs
- Experience in budget request tasks at government or government-affiliated organization(s)
- Native level Japanese skills
- Business level English skills
- Ability to establish and maintain effective work relationship in an international environment
- Effective computer skills including experience with MS Office (Word, Excel PowerPoint)
- Ability to maintain a high level of accuracy and attention to detail
- Ability to demonstrate initiative and a problem-solving approach
- Working experience in budget or accounting section of a national university/national research institution
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Managerial position)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 7.2 million yen ~ (Job class: Manager, A5)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.