The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Biosafety Staff will provide a pre-application review of experimental protocols involving biological materials to ensure compliance with relevant laws and policies and OIST institutional rules, and advises the Lead Investigator as necessary. S/he will be responsible for establishing plans for renovations of experimental facilities and equipment as necessary, in order for the proper implementation of experiments involving biological materials. In addition, Biosafety Staff will provide necessary training to the researchers and students and monitor their attendance.
- Provide a pre-application review of experimental protocols involving biological materials, such as recombinant DNA molecules and pathogens, to ensure compliance with relevant laws and policies and OIST institutional rules, and advises the Lead Investigator as necessary. Responsible for the procedures to obtain internal approval for these experiments
- Ensure all laboratory workers who could come in contact with recombinant DNA molecules and pathogens complete any necessary health check and monitor their examination history
- Provide biosafety training to laboratory workers and monitor their attendance. Create and update materials for the training
- Inspect laboratories where rDNA or pathogen experiment are conducted and ensure that experiments involving biological materials are conducted according to the approved experimental protocol
- Manage OIST Biosafety Committee and organize its meetings. Responsible also for travel arrangement for committee members and preparation of meeting materials
- Establish and revise OIST’s biosafety-related rules and manuals
- Responsible for the operations and maintenance of the common BSL2(3) facility. Organize users meetings
- Support in documents preparations for permit applications and submit them to the relevant authorities. Negotiate with relevant authorities for OIST researchers to continue their research activities while ensuring biosafety
- Manage imports of biological sample and perform other tasks related to biosafety and other occupational health and safety
- Knowledge and hands-on experience in the safe management of biological materials, such as recombinant DNA molecules and pathogens
- Ability to communicate and negotiate effectively with different groups of stakeholders including researchers of different nationalities and government authorities.
- Native-level Japanese
- Business-level English (TOEIC 800 or equivalent), ability to communicate effectively with researchers in English both written and spoken.
- PC skill (MS Word, Excel, Power Point and other general PC software)
- Master degree in biological science, medical science or engineering
- Ph. D. in biological science, medical science or engineering
- Certificate as biosafety expert
- Familiarity with biosafety-related laws, i.g. the Cartagena Law, Infectious Diseases Control Law, Domestic Animal Infectious Diseases Control Law and etc.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3 month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.9 million ~ 7.2 million yen (Job class: Administrative Staff III, A3)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).