Assistant to Vice President for Communication & Public Relations
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
- Assist the Vice President with the organization of daily operations, including planning and meetings.
- Take minutes of meetings and draft reports where required in English and Japanese.
- Assist the Vice President with the organization of VIP visits and management of the guest book.
- Help manage and schedule appointments and travel (domestic and international), maintain and coordinate calendars, correspondence and email, where required.
- Manage the budget request and review processes, including preparation of the draft budget for the Vice President, review of the divisional budget, and communication with the Budget Section.
- Help manage and draft the Business Plan and Performance Evaluation for the Division by coordinating with the Vice President and section managers and consolidating all input.
- File financial documentation for the Vice President, Translation Team, Proofreading Team, and Digital Services Team.
- Serve as the Secretariat for the Culture Committee.
- Reply to inquiries submitted to the OIST Contact e-mail account.
- Coordinate with the Office of the President to help promote and organize Presidential Lectures.
- Support other administrative work in the Division as required.
- Carry out fact-finding research and prepare summaries using online data sources, library sources and individual contacts.
- Assist with translation and interpretation as necessary.
- Bachelors level education
- Must be articulate, with excellent communication and writing skills in Japanese and English.
- Computer skills including experience with calendar management, MS office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) and database use are essential.
- Must be well-organized and discreet and have a high degree of personal initiative.
- Experience with on-line searches and fact checking.
- Able to interact comfortably and confidently with senior officials.
- Adept at working in a team.
- Comfortable with change and innovation.
- Ability to remain calm and organized in crisis situations, providing support and assistance in the event of an emergency.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 3.9 million ~ 7.3 million yen (Job class: Administrative III, A3)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
- Letter of intent in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1 Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
If you have any questions, please contact us at recruiting[at]oist.jp.
(replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.