Animal Resources Section Leader
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
There are several animal facilities (total more than 3,000 square meters) in OIST Onna Campus (Laboratories 1, 2, and 4) and Okinawa Marine Science Satiation. In addition, OIST will build up new rodent facilities (3,000 square meters or more) in laboratory 5 and commence its operation by the end of 2022. The Animal Resources Section (ARS) has supported animal experiments using laboratory animals with ARS staff and outsourced staff under OIST animal care and use program in accordance with Global, local and OIST regulations.
Currently, the OIST animal care and use program is operating under global standards and should be developed to state of the art through leading edge of laboratory animal science and medicine. The section leader of ARS manages all duties in animal facilities related laboratory animals besides animal experiments for researchers, animal care staff and laboratory animals.
- Supervise laboratory animal care: Rodent, Zebra finch, Xenopus, Zebrafish, Cephalopod and any other animal model species required in future
- Supervise animal facilities: Rodent, Zebra finch, Xenopus, Zebrafish located in main campus buildings
- Manage OIST animal care and use program for maintaining international accreditation of animal facilities
- Manage section staff and outsourcing staff
- Create and execute section’s business plan
- Manage the section’s annual budget (including planning, execution, and reports)
- Veterinarian license
- Experience of 5 years or more as manager of laboratory animal facilities or attending veterinarian
- Business level English communication skills (written and oral)
- Diplomate of colleges of laboratory animal medicine
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: 9:00-17:30 (Discretionary)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Letter of intent in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Curriculum vitae in both English (and Japanese if available)
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).