Administrator of Office of the Dean of Research
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
Division Function/Position summary:
Operational and administrative support to the Dean of Research and the External Partnership Coordinator in the Office of the Dean of Research.
- Administer the budget of the Office of the Dean of Research in coordination with the External Partnership Coordinator.
- Support the Dean of Research and the External Partnership Coordinator in hosting symposia, workshops, meetings and other events by handling logistics, including budget management.
- Liaise cross-sectionally, within OIST to support the activities of the Dean of Research and the External Partnership Coordinator.
- Draft meeting minutes and presentations, etc. and prepare data for the Dean of Research and the External Partnership Coordinator, to analyze and implement research collaboration activities.
- Handle scheduling arrangements, including the completion of administrative actions associated with business travel by the Dean of Research and the External Partnership Coordinator and guests in conformity with the policies and procedures of OIST and counterparts.
- Other related tasks, as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree or higher.
- Proficiency in working with Microsoft365 applications.
- Native level Japanese and business level English.
- Ability to establish smooth communications with stakeholders within and outside OIST.
- Ability to accomplish all assigned or requested tasks in a timely and accurate manner.
- Multitasker, attentive to detail, situationally aware, with an ability to operate in an uncertain and changing environment with a minimum of supervision.
- Willing to acquire new skills and knowledge.
- Team worker.
- Work experience as an administrative staff member at a university or research institution.
- Work experience in an international environment.
- Work experience in the event planning industry.
- Knowledge of website editing.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 2 years. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker's accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by uploading your submission documents HERE*.
*This is a secure file uploading system for handling confidential materials.
or apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
* Up to 3 references may be requested during the final interview stage.
* Prior to the start of employment all new hires are required to successfully complete a background check. Personal information including employment history and academic background should be submitted to third-party administrators after a conditional offer of employment.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity educator and employer, and is working actively toward increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages applications from underrepresented groups.
- Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities(https://groups.oist.jp/acd/information-disclosure/).
- Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).