Administrator for contract procedures
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
To further promote innovative researches, the Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST) collaborate with researchers in other universities and companies. To validate research collaborations, both sides will sign a contract. This position will be responsible for a whole procedure relevant to a contract of research collaborations.
- Drafting, modifying, negotiating and amending all major classes of research agreements (e.g., Material Transfer Agreements, Joint Research Agreements, Non-Disclosure Agreements, Visiting Researchers Agreements, etc.)
- Initiating, tracking and finalizing internal approval forms for all the above agreements.
- Coordinating as necessary with Principal Investigators, researchers, the Office of General Counsel, the Dean of Research, the President’s Office and other executives, as necessary, to gather information and respond to questions concerning the above agreements.
- Docketing and tracking deadlines, expiration, renewal and required amendment dates for the above agreements.
- Familiarizing Principal Investigators and researchers with financial reporting requirements, in those cases where OIST funding is to be managed by collaborating institutions/researchers.
- Performing other duties, such as managing external research funds, as assigned.
- Experience working with contractual and other legal documents and a working knowledge of legal drafting
(Approximately 5 years of relevant work experience for A2 and 8 years for A3)
- Working knowledge of basic intellectual property rights and associated laws; in particular, patents, utility models, design rights and copyrights.
- Native-level Japanese fluency
- Smooth communication by email in English and business-level English fluency
- Capable of independent, self-directed work.
- Internal and external negotiating skills.
- A personality conducive to direct, constructive engagement with scientists without regard to nationality.
New and recent graduates could be considered also. Please inquire if interested.
Compensation in accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4 millon ~ 6.6 million yen (Job class: Administrative staff I-III, A1-A3)
(A1: 2.4~3.8 million yen/A2: 3.2~5.0 million yen/A3: 4.2~6.6 million yen)
- Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
- Annual paid leave and summer holidays
- Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
- Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
- Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
- Names and contact information of 3~5 referees, one of which should be a previous employer
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Onna, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
* OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
* Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
* Please view our policy for rules on external professional activities
* Further details about the University can be viewed on our website (www.oist.jp).