Administrative Staff for the Academic Development Section
The Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University (OIST; see www.oist.jp) is a dynamic new graduate university of science and technology in Okinawa Prefecture, Japan. The university is located on 85 hectares of protected forestland overlooking beautiful shoreline and coral reefs. The campus is striking architecturally, and the facilities are outstanding (OIST campus video tour). There are no academic departments, which facilitates multidisciplinary research. Outstanding resources and equipment are provided and managed to encourage easy access and collaboration. English is the official language of the University, and the university research community is fully international, with more than 50 countries represented. OIST is rapidly gaining recognition in the worldwide academic community as a model for excellence in education and research.
The Faculty Affairs Office is responsible for matters concerning the faculty/researchers’ academic nature such as appointments, career development, and other administrative support. The office has a culture in which staff cooperate with each other to achieve the division’s goals.
The Administrative staff handles administrative tasks operated in the Academic Development Section and in the Faculty Affairs Office. Operationally the position reports to Assistant Manager in Academic Development Section.
- Serve as secretariat for the RUA meetings and other committees organized by the Faculty Affairs Office, including preparing agenda items, taking/distributing meeting minutes and following up action items
- Handle requests and settlement for travel, purchase, and other expenses incurred in the office.
- Provide support for HR duties for research units, including processing of contracts, writing letters, translation and filing documents.
- Assist invited guests and workshops organized by the office.
- Maintain the Faculty Affairs Office website.
- Other administrative tasks as assigned.
- Minimum 3 years clerical or administrative experience.
- Excellent Communication skills in Japanese and English (TOEIC 850 or higher).
- Advanced Microsoft computer skills.
- Ability to work on multiple tasks by the order of priority.
- Ability to work in a team environment with good interpersonal skills.
Term & Working Hours
Term: Full-time, fixed term appointment for 1 year. Contract initially with 3-month probationary period (inclusive). This contract may be renewed.
Working hours: Flextime (core time 10:00-15:00) 7.5 hrs per day (Multiplied by prescribed working days per month)
Compensation & Benefits
In accordance with the OIST Employee Compensation Regulations
Annual salary: 2.4 million ~ (Job class: Administrative staff I-II, A1-A2)
Relocation, housing and commuting allowances
Annual paid leave and summer holidays
Health insurance (Private School Mutual Aid http://www.shigakukyosai.jp/ )
Welfare pension insurance (kousei-nenkin)
Worker’s accident compensation insurance (roudousha-saigai-hoshou-hoken)
How To Apply
Apply by emailing your Submission Documents to:
(Please replace [at] with @ before using this email address)
or send by post to the following address:
HR Recruiting Support Section
Okinawa Institute of Science and Technology Graduate University
1919-1, Tancha, Onna-son, Okinawa 904-0495, Japan
- Cover letter in both English and Japanese
- Curriculum vitae in both English and Japanese
* Please be sure to indicate where you first saw the job advertisement.
Application Due Date
- OIST Graduate University is an equal opportunity, affirmative action educator and employer and is committed to increasing the diversity of its faculty, students and staff. The University strongly encourages women and minority candidates to apply.
- Information provided by applicants or references will be kept confidential, documents will not be returned. All applicants will be notified regarding the status of their applications.
- Please view OIST policy for rules on external professional activities
- Further details about the University can be viewed on the OIST website www.oist.jp.